Offset Charcoal vs Pellet Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bsud

Original poster
Aug 13, 2023
Thinking about a new Smoker. I've always liked the offsets but was wondering now if the Pellet smokers are the way to go? If so can you grill on a pellet smoker and how does grilling work. I saw one in action one day from friend but it seems like it took forever to grill on that thing.

I've had my pellet grill for about 4yrs now. I only smoke on it. I have a char-broil infrared I do my grilling on. I can get that to 800* to do some great searing on.

You can grill on a pellet grill/smoker.
Many out there and there max temps vary. Highest temp on one I had was 700f, and I only used a temp that high for pizza.
Did have a direct flame mode the lets the pellets burn wide open, but never used it as I didn't see the need.
You can get a nice sear marks on a steak at 450f. Don't know about lower, haven't tried.

The big plus for pellet grill/smokers is convenience.
Put a brisket or pork shoulder on at night and go to bed with a remote thermometer by your side for alerts.

I've owned 4 in the past and 5th is being build.

Reactions: DemonPit
You can grill on a pellet grill/smoker.
Many out there and there max temps vary. Highest temp on one I had was 700f, and I only used a temp that high for pizza.
Did have a direct flame mode the lets the pellets burn wide open, but never used it as I didn't see the need.
You can get a nice sear marks on a steak at 450f. Don't know about lower, haven't tried.

The big plus for pellet grill/smokers is convenience.
Put a brisket or pork shoulder on at night and go to bed with a remote thermometer by your side for alerts.

I've owned 4 in the past and 5th is being build.
When you grill on one do you have to take that baffle out of the middle of it? The one I seen I'm talking about above had a rounded like baffle plate in the middle of it

On the PB820 there's a slide plate that you slide open for grilling, closed for smoking.
Ok the one I'm talking about i believe was a Z grills. It has a baffle that set down in there for like the Grease and stuff. But if that is removed the Grease would drop down in the Pellet fire. I just don't understand it

When you grill on one do you have to take that baffle out of the middle of it? The one I seen I'm talking about above had a rounded like baffle plate in the middle of it
Depends on the Grill/Smoker and how high temps get with the baffle (Direct Flame) mode closed.

Reactions: bsud
Depends on the Grill/Smoker and how high temps get with the baffle (Direct Flame) mode closed.
It was I believe a Z grillz 450. The highest temp setting is 450 but not sure if it gets hotter than that if the Grease plate is removed.

Last edited:
Usually the controller will have a Direct Flame mode (at least the one I had did) so the Auger turns continually and the fan is on high.
You should get higher heat the 450f when you are right over the burner running full blast.

Usually the controller will have a Direct Flame mode (at least the one I had did) so the Auger turns continually and the fan is on high.
You should get higher heat the 450f when you are right over the burner running full blast.
Even if that Grease Tray/baffle plate is over the burner?

This is why the baffle and slider looks like on the pb820. Theres a rod that you slide into the open or closed position. Screenshot_20230813_145556_Samsung Internet.jpg

Even if that Grease Tray/baffle plate is over the burner?
That is something "you" have to do.
If baffle is over burn pot, you would run in normal mode.
If baffle is removed then you would set it to wide open.

Now, I'm basing this on the Memphis Elite that I had.
Slightly different process for that grill, but same concept.

Also, you "must" leave lid open.
If you don't the extreme heat would start warping the metal.

Thinking about a new Smoker. I've always liked the offsets but was wondering now if the Pellet smokers are the way to go? If so can you grill on a pellet smoker and how does grilling work. I saw one in action one day from friend but it seems like it took forever to grill on that th

You might consider an Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Combo unless you want a dedicated smoker. I like the OK Joe Combo because I can smoke on it, gas grill on it, and do both at the same time. One of tastiest things to do on it is a reversed seared ribeye. Put the steaks on the smoking side for about 30 minutes until they are about 110 degrees, then reverse sear them high heat on the gas grill. There are better dedicated smokers out there, but it's a good choice if you like to do a little of everything. l smoked a brisket and pork butt earlier this month. Takes a lot of fire tending, but results were great.

If you like to grill then in my opinion you shouldn't rely on a pellet pooper. They can work well for smoking but are questionable for grilling. You would be better off getting a pellet pooper for smoking and adding a 22" Weber for grilling IMHO. You could also get an offset for smoking although they do require constant oversight (part of the fun and the hassle). Another option is a Kamado, they do both smoke and grill pretty darn well and can burn for over 12 hours at a stable low and slow temp with no special equipment. This makes an overnight smoke easy to accomplish. You could also add a PID with WiFi and alarms if you are in to that.

I have also heard folks complain about a lack of smoke flavor from a pellet pooper but I'm sure there are just as many folks that are happy with them.

*Disclaimer - I have owned many different cookers but never a pellet pooper, I doubt I ever will unless it's to replace the wood burning stove we heat our cabin with.

Reactions: BigW.
If you like to grill then in my opinion you shouldn't rely on a pellet pooper. They can work well for smoking but are questionable for grilling.
Just depends on the make and model . Several out there that are capable of doing both well . I know you said your opinion .
B bsud
I have one that has an open design . Works great as a smoker and a grill .
Here's a thread on two cooks I did in the same day . Best of both worlds , same grill smoker . Fantastic smoke profile as well .

Get a Kettle for grilling. Really hard to beat.

Then shop for a smoker.
This is sound advice. Although I have a pellet pooper that I can crank up to around 600, I prefer my kettles for straight up grilling. If my Rec Tec had the ability to direct sear, I might change my opinion a little. Also, the whole process of starting a charcoal fire, waiting a bit and throwing some meat on a Weber is sort of therapy for me. I still love it. Do I miss watching my old man spray half a bottle of house ignitor on an open flame. Not really, but I'll bet a LOT of us have that memory from our past.

This is sound advice. Although I have a pellet pooper that I can crank up to around 600, I prefer my kettles for straight up grilling. If my Rec Tec had the ability to direct sear, I might change my opinion a little. Also, the whole process of starting a charcoal fire, waiting a bit and throwing some meat on a Weber is sort of therapy for me. I still love it. Do I miss watching my old man spray half a bottle of house ignitor on an open flame. Not really, but I'll bet a LOT of us have that memory from our past.
Oh I do have a Webber Kettle that I love. I was just kinda wanting another smoker/grill and was thinking of pellet or Wood offset

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky