Offset build with 34in diameter pipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well the welding teacher let me know that the smoker is finally done! I am going tomorrow morning to check in and see if there’s anything else that needs to be tweaked. Can’t wait to get it home and then sandblasted and painted!

05013A48-177F-4154-BBC2-794049078802.jpeg
B4593CF2-9D99-4FB7-B0B4-E03EAAE2B641.jpeg
4913B95E-898A-4E36-9E79-BDE8C3B09BD0.jpeg
Got to visit the smoker this morning. Looks really sharp. So he straightened the exhaust pipe which had been uneven. He put in a baffle between firebox and cook chamber (I asked him to cut a few inches off of it as it was almost touching the bottom of cook chamber.
He moved door handles down and welded horse shoes on door as stoppers and they work wonderfully.
He had a bit of trouble with the doors moving a bit and had welded bars across them to try to get them to stay but I asked him to cut those off and will ask a friends to try and bend them back a bit.
After I get doors sealing better I will get it sandblasted and painted.

Last edited:
118AA63C-D750-424C-A36D-E4C05848292E.jpeg
16CFA5DB-952A-4BDD-BAE2-9A7D2B70DC6F.jpeg
Well got the smoker home and switched to some way thinner tires and it STILL won’t fit through my gate to get it to the backyard. We can’t have it on the side of the house so I have to get the axle shortened. Here’s some pics! Gonna try to take about 4 inches off of each side. Let me know of any pitfalls to shortening an axle. I will not be doing the work but rather a friend or possible a fabricator.

Last edited:
97E3B072-78F9-405D-8B5B-9D54D8C99A52.jpeg
EA561BEB-2403-4C02-8279-80C0BC2F1A8C.jpeg
89EFE786-16F3-4716-B923-B80854F491C6.jpeg
So I was able to do a burn for about 2 hrs today! Got temps up to almost 300 degrees but really didn’t use any bigger pieces of wood. I just wanted to be sure it flowed well. Happy to say that it does and I barely saw any smoke because it was thin and blue.

I do have to shorten axle about 5 inches but have to wait until after Jan 1.
Then will get sandblasted and painted. Then it will be done. Can’t wait to cook on it.

Dave and K.A.M. I want to thank you guys for your insight and wisdom in helping me to get my smoker built.

I got the thin blue smoke yesterday and after waiting for a year it’s all worth it!

Thanks!

8513332D-8D88-4BBA-B5A5-14592DD80666.jpeg
E2035BAE-0807-4348-8E2D-94462D549F65.jpeg
E9C99B59-E20B-4567-933A-3AA95D3DD8FF.jpeg
751E6B5C-944D-4F27-8443-F3231E495820.jpeg
90AE7FE9-4357-424A-9747-C436F75DBDED.jpeg
I got a great deal on some new tires that also give me 2 more inches of clearance for my gate. Still need to take 6 inches off my axle though
Here are some pics so enjoy! Here it is with low profile tires, lowers smoker about 4 inches which is nice.
Next pic is with all 4 racks pulled out.
Next is a pic of the baffle that I had them install.
Last pic is profile shot from the front.

Thanks for the advice Dave!
I actually dropped off the smoker to a friends fabrication shop where they make tons of food trailers/concessions every year. The guy that owns it has multiple restaurants and does a ton of business here. I told them that I needed at least 6 inches off the entire length and the guy had a plan but we didn’t go into details.
He said it should be ready towards the end of next week which is good considering the New Years holiday.
Then sandblasting and painting and it’ll be ready for food!! Can’t wait- it’s been over a year since this process started. Will be worth it and sooo nice to be able to get it into my backyard.

F1B67D44-0C82-43F5-B010-29B5B233A5FD.jpeg
F2D42773-1A75-46C7-9E29-643387BE96B2.jpeg
C8DACE5F-1B3D-4C29-BE45-C997890DE25B.jpeg
Smoker got axle shortened 6 inches and made it through my gate no problem!

Still have to get sandblasted and painted but they worked on doors too and got them a lot closer to sealing. Need to get some toggle latches to get them to close completely.

I’ll have to look. Didn’t think about it when I picked up smoker. I’ll take a pic and let you know.

Dave,
Here are the pics of how they cut and welded it back. Took 6 inches off the middle and welded a plate on the back.
B19659DB-5196-4193-B1F8-440F3C159927.jpeg
7AD63EAE-6D2E-48A3-B7C8-757FA26D1C30.jpeg

Excellent.... They know what they are doing... Some folks would have cut outside the spring... Wrong place..

So glad to hear they did it right! Thanks for letting me know. That will give me peace of mind pulling it down the road!

Dave, I am lookin at closing off that last bit of gap in the doors. Do you think toggle latches will do the trick? Do you weld those on? Thanks for letting me know because I’ll want to get those out on before sandblasting I’m guessing.

I can't tell for sure.... It looks like they used barrel hinges on the door... When they were welded on, they could have pulled the top part of the door down as the metal shrunk... I would cut the top 1/2 of the barrel hinge off and check the door fit.. A cutoff wheel on an angle grind would work well... If the door fits good when that is done, then different hinge mount should be welded on the door.. A good home made hinge mount, using the barrel hinge, is something similar to this.... That gets the hinge away from having torque on the door... You can tack the door down to keep it from moving.. tack the bottom edge.. then, when it cools, use the cutoff disc to cut the tack welds...
Be sure to center the door in the opening when you tack it.. Use spacers is a big help... Nails work.. Since the door seal is in place now, drill a nail size hole in the door seal, tight against the door... Drop the nail in the hole and the door is now spaced the diameter of the nail.. that can be done all around the door to keep it spaced.. and you can now check to make sure the door fits properly... It's easier to beat on the door to get it to fit when you can take it off.. If the door needs more curve to fit properly, set a floor jack on a chain.. run the chain around the door and jack on it... If you take cardboard and scribe the curve of the cook chamber body, the cut out on the line, you can use that as a template to see how much to jack on the door...
Having the door air tight is a really big deal... do all you can to get it to fit.. If it takes 2 weeks, take the time... You will not be sorry... You may have to cut out a few sections of the door seal to do this... do it...

Does all that BS make sense ???? I'm here...

Hinge Weldable 4.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky