Off topic boot question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yeah, I think it's worse this year because of the sites I am working. I am just sitting at a table outside watching movies with 7 minute foot patrols a couple times an hour at the winery or the other site I am sitting in a Coleman chair behind my car at a construction equipment yard watching movies lol. After a couple hours at the construction site I move to my car for the rest of the night and switch out my boots for fuzzy lined slippers, 2 jackets (one for legs one for body) and a blanket LOL. I like to use the car heater but that car's a gas hog and gas is killing me.

Hey all,

I know some of you all live and work in cold areas. I usually wear rocky boots and duty shoes but this year I am at posts I don't do much walking and it's all outside. I got a pair of Sorel with 200 g thinsolate. Any of you have experience with the brand? A buddy mentioned them to me said he liked em.
Very gkod boot. i have felt pacjs. great for ice fishing, hunting from a stand. Not the best if you will be doing lots of walking, which it sounds like you won't.

I get them a little loose and fill tge gap by wearing a thin cotton sock covered by thick Army wool socks.

Reactions: negolien
Very gkod boot. i have felt pacjs. great for ice fishing, hunting from a stand. Not the best if you will be doing lots of walking, which it sounds like you won't.

I get them a little loose and fill tge gap by wearing a thin cotton sock covered by thick Army wool socks.
Yup I usually do the same... thin boot socks under wool socks. It's 100% wintertime here now lol left work at 0640 was 34 degrees :<(. Least I don't live in north Dakota or back east though. I was wearing thermal tops and bottoms, fleece lined pants, a t shirt, a turtleneck, a jacket, baclava, beanie and fur lined suede gloves. I was still cold at times lol mostly my hands and feet.

Sorels are great I had cancer 2 times and suffer from some nerve issues in my hands and feet now which makes the cold worse 😳
20221202_213955.jpg
20221202_211702.jpg
20221202_211626.jpg

Last edited:
Happy you found something that works for you

Yup I usually do the same... thin boot socks under wool socks. It's 100% wintertime here now lol left work at 0640 was 34 degrees :<(. Least I don't live in north Dakota or back east though. I was wearing thermal tops and bottoms, fleece lined pants, a t shirt, a turtleneck, a jacket, baclava, beanie and fur lined suede gloves. I was still cold at times lol mostly my hands and feet.
I have nerve damage from frost bite in my feet and hands.
Hands just plain get cold so I use the chemical warmers. My hunting gloves have pockets specifically for the little packets.
Feet lost ability to regulate temps. They will sweat heavily then get cold (and damp).
My best sock combo is compression socks with wool quarter high People Socks
Used to live in Seattle. I despised the damp winters.
Used to winter in Minnesota. I much prefer Florida.

A bit late to this post but I live in NH and worked outside for 30 yrs. I bought a pair of these military surplus "Mickey Mouse" boots 25 yrs ago and still wear them. They are so comfortable it's like wearing slippers. A search for them will bring up many options for buying them. I once stood in 32 degree water for 2 hours and never felt any cold. They are the best for just standing around in any weather. Contrary to the stories the air valve is not for blowing them up, it is to release pressure will flying in an unpressurized plane.

mouse boots.jpg

Another issue that plagues me is dupatrines contracture in both pinkies and the adjoining 2 fingers on the right hand. Makes it impossible to wear any gloves worth a shit.

• Sad
Reactions: Fueling Around
A bit late to this post but I live in NH and worked outside for 30 yrs. I bought a pair of these military surplus "Mickey Mouse" boots 25 yrs ago and still wear them. They are so comfortable it's like wearing slippers. A search for them will bring up many options for buying them. I once stood in 32 degree water for 2 hours and never felt any cold. They are the best for just standing around in any weather. Contrary to the stories the air valve is not for blowing them up, it is to release pressure will flying in an unpressurized plane.

View attachment 650107
These are great boots. Used them in Korea and New Zealand. Keeps you warm. But big, heavy, and clumsy. To me anyway.

I remember those boots choochooman442 choochooman442
Never called them MM boots as they only had white up in the prairie. Simply called "Korea Boots" or "Bunny Boots"
Another issue that plagues me is dupatrines contracture in both pinkies and the adjoining 2 fingers on the right hand. Makes it impossible to wear any gloves worth a shit.
That sucks. Somehow with my Nordic lineage, I avoided Viking Disease.
Friend of mine has a severe problem with Dupuytren's Contracture. The "releases" weren't effective so he had full out surgery that basically filleted his hand before being reassembled.
If gloves don't fit, try mittens or choppers as they are called back home. Much better at keeping the hands warm than gloves.

I remember those boots choochooman442 choochooman442
Never called them MM boots as they only had white up in the prairie. Simply called "Korea Boots" or "Bunny Boots"

That sucks. Somehow with my Nordic lineage, I avoided Viking Disease.
Friend of mine has a severe problem with Dupuytren's Contracture. The "releases" weren't effective so he had full out surgery that basically filleted his hand before being reassembled.
If gloves don't fit, try mittens or choppers as they are called back home. Much better at keeping the hands warm than gloves.
Yeah I had a release done on my left pinky lasted a couple months then thing went all crazy and it's like 90 degrees down like i am pinky pointing at the ground lol. right pinky is natually like that now too and the two fingers are on their way. I have a pair of fairly thin 511 that fit and i have a 35 year old pair of lined sued gloves that fit. Basically, i cant wear anything thick or with a liner

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky