Off set smoker questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rock daddy

Original poster
Apr 26, 2015
Aloha I am wandering what you guys think of this smoker design? 

1. Is my smoke box large enough? 16" W,27" T, 14" Deep

2. My smoke stack extension . Should it come down to the first grate or the bottom cooking grate?

3. Had it fired for over 6 hours and could not get above 160.

4. Inside the fire box the grate is only about 2" above the firebox floor.

Mahalo in advance.

Personally it looks like you firebox damper is not large enough (not letting enough air in) and your pipe from the firebox to the cook chamber may be a little small.

I think you need to look at the feldons bbq calculator (seeing as it is not a reverse flow smoker). link below.

http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

DaveOmak also built a calculator for reverse flow smokers but I double checked my numbers from the feldon calculator against his. he also provides a great calculator for determining your cut size into the cook chamber from the firebox (link to his calculator thread below).

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...ak-and-others-ready-to-use-rev-4#post_1264161

Mahalo,

Do you think I can remedy this by adding a slide on the side of the firebox like on the bottom front of the cook chamber? can be seen in one of the pictures. Also do you think that one more 4" pipe would work added next to the original one from the fire box to the cook chamber? I tried the calulater and I think you are right on both accords.

I think adding the additional slide will definately help. Just ensure you have the correct amount of area based on the calculator. same goes for the pipe. A 4 inch pipe only gives you 12.5 ish square inches. depending on what the calculator says you may need to add 1 or 2 more. I'm not sure, i dont have the specs for your smoker. You may also want to ensure your chimney is the corect size as well.

How about the smoke stack extension? should it be to the first grate cooking surface or the bottom grate?

I like that that's a great build. As they say in Hawai,i She Go

I agree with what others have said, you really need more opening from the FB to the CC.

At least one more pipe, and get rid of the damper in the pipe between the firebox and cook chamber.

Better yet would be to cut it off, get rid of the pipe and attach the firebox directly to the cook chamber.

Also appears that your firebox is too small. It should be at least 1/3 the volume of your cook chamber.

Definitely want to add more air intakes to the firebox. They should also be below the level of the fire grate, so air feed the fire from underneath.

Not sure why you have an air intake in the bottom of the cook chamber. Was this used as a grill at some point? Best to close it off when smoking.

As for the chimney, there is no real difference in the height of the opening inside the cook chamber, as long as it is above the bottom rack.

I hope this helps.

OK thanks for all the info. I will update smoker pictures soon with all mods

Ok here is an update. Added larger port on the side of Firebox. Also opened up the opening to the smoke chamber, added a holding box above the Firefox. Made a wood rack for the firebox. Installed thermometer. That's it! I think

Ok so it cooks great now!in stoked. No pun intended. About 5 degrees different in the left and the right side. Gets up to temp fairly quickly and holds a good 2-300 range. I'm really happy with it that said thanks again to everyone for all the input.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky