Of all of the pulled pork posts I have seen, no one has mentioned hush puppies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Give these a try. They're excellent!

Sweet Hushpuppies

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup very finely chopped onions
1/2 cup very finely chopped green bell peppers
1/2 cup very finely chopped green onions (tops only)
1 egg, beaten
oil for frying (I deep fry)

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper. Mix well
breaking up any lumps. Add the onions, bell peppers, green onions and egg, stirring until
thoroughly blended. Note: Mixture will be very dry at this point, but it will get moister as it
sets. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours, but no longer than 3 hours or the batter will get
too moist.
In a large skillet over high heat (or deep fryer)) heat oil to 350°. Drop batter by tablespoons full
into the hot oil and fry in batches until cooks through and dark golden brown on all sides, about
5 minutes total, turning at least once.

IMG_0011-1.jpg

Last edited:
Give these a try. They're excellent!
Can I use self rising corn meal and self rising flour and omit the baking powder?
Sweet Hushpuppies

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup very finely chopped onions
1/2 cup very finely chopped green bell peppers
1/2 cup very finely chopped green onions (tops only)
1 egg, beaten
oil for frying (I deep fry)

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper. Mix well
breaking up any lumps. Add the onions, bell peppers, green onions and egg, stirring until
thoroughly blended. Note: Mixture will be very dry at this point, but it will get moister as it
sets. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours, but no longer than 3 hours or the batter will get
too moist.
In a large skillet over high heat (or deep fryer)) heat oil to 350°. Drop batter by tablespoons full
into the hot oil and fry in batches until cooks through and dark golden brown on all sides, about
5 minutes total, turning at least once.

I don't see why self rising flour wouldn't work. I've never tried it but you should be okay.

No liquid in either of these recipes ?

The onions, peppers and egg is all the liquid these need. As it sets in the fridge the moisture seeps into the dry ingredients.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky