Octoberfest Pork Shank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
Got 6 pork shanks, weigh just over 14lbs, at the butcher the other day for BIL's birthday.

PXL_20221001_200419690.jpg PXL_20221001_202342212.jpg

They are spiced in pepper garlic, and caraway seed for 3, not sure why I didn't do all 6.

They will sit in refrigerator wrapped until tomorrow around noon. Then will smoke for 3 hours in hickory, and then will braze in German dark beer and some broth, will add in some carrots.

They got started in the RT 1250 at about 12:30 on Xtreme Smoke. This will be the first real smoke on the smoker. I have smoked a couple of batches of chicken thighs and a trip tip, but nothing substantial.

PXL_20221002_193658883.jpg

Cmon man....don't leave us hangin.
The total event got out of control, everything took longer then thought. I have very few pics, I will post them later. The meat didn't turn out well at all, I got it in the braise too late and it was very dry, tasted good but dry. I still have one wrapped up uncut.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky