Observation about LJ pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a hard time finding any info on most of them to be honest must be a law that if you have a certain percentage in something you can use double talk to describe the product these days, just fired up a new charcoal smoker that was pretty cheap compared to a Weber which I wanted but $$ made me put it off. Hpe the bag of chunks is all hickory cause thats what it sez lol

I'll give you a comparison in labeling
Lumberjack labels Apple blend up front as it is a blend of hardwoods other than apple wood.
Traeger says Apple in bold print. Read the label and it says hardwood blend
Bear Mountain is the same deceptive blend in pellets.
I used to blend LJ hickory, maple, and cherry pellets, but decided it wasn't worth the effort as i couldn't taste the wood.
Now, I use the cheapest pellets for fuel (not Pit Boss) and put good pellets in the tube for flavor.

Reactions: JWFokker
I switched to LJ based on a recommendation I received from the forum. I have been very happy with them. I don’t need to dry them out like others. They burn consistently in a tube and the flavor is good.

I have had a good result with Cookin Pellets. Choice of 100% Hickory or their Perfect Blend of Hickory, Maple, Cherry and Apple....JJ

I have always used LJ for obvious reasons but the only place to get them, in my area, is Dick's and I refuse to deal with them. To go online for pellets LJ is just too expensive for smaller orders. I ordered some Cooking Pellets based on reviews but haven't run out of my LJ pellets, so I haven't tried them yet.

I have always used LJ for obvious reasons but the only place to get them, in my area, is Dick's and I refuse to deal with them. To go online for pellets LJ is just too expensive for smaller orders. I ordered some Cooking Pellets based on reviews but haven't run out of my LJ pellets, so I haven't tried them yet.
While it's a road trip, there's a Rural King a couple of hours from you. Their prices, especially when on sale, may make it worthwhile for you.

I switched to LJ based on a recommendation I received from the forum. I have been very happy with them. I don’t need to dry them out like others. They burn consistently in a tube and the flavor is good.
Drying out pellets has always been goofy if you ask me. The moisture content is in the single digits when they're manufactured. And if it were possible, super low moisture will make the smoke flavor less intense if stick burners are to be believed (they think kiln dried wood is bland).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky