OBS Auber Ins help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmusser

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 11, 2020
Hooked up new AuberPID to OBS with new 900 w element. First smoke and a few times the power lights on OBS turned off and no heat, Auber stayed on. Was on ext cord but its rated to handle load, I think. Unplug and plug back in, Bradley comes to life. Happened prob 3-4 times. Trying to think of what stupid thing I did...
Ext cord? Incorrect install? IDK? Thoughts?

25' didnt see gauge but was bigger than other that said 1500w load. Was raining and had to keep it in garage at door. Usually dont use cord. Thought was weird that Auber stayed on and OBS went blank

Have you tried it without the cord? I wired up my Smokin-It for a Auber 1200GPH and it seemed to be working fine as I auto tuned. Attempted to cook ribs the next day and I couldn't get the box temp over 214*. Switched back to the analog SI controller and it went to 235 or so and no higher. It should have been hitting 265-275 easily cranked all the way up. Finally dawned on me that due to the short cord on the Auber unit I had plugged it in to a 6 ft heavy duty jobbers type ext. cord. Ditched the cord and went straight to the outlet and all worked as it should have. Explanation? The cord checks out OK so I don't have one but I'm going to wire a longer cord to the Auber.
eta-I've used the cord many times before pre-Auber, as the last place I lived at didn't have an outlet on the patio.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmusser
Ok, not sure what an OBS is but it sounds like you didn't properly by-pass the original controls. How else could the smoker shut off but not the Auber ? I'm guessing, once the Auber shuts off the power, the smoker doesn't power up again unless you press the on button.

Thanks for the replies! OBS=Original Bradley Smoker. The Auber Ins PID was specific designed to plug and play. Seemed really confusing that the Auber would be on but smoker light off.

A silly question, should the Bradley switch be "On" and where should temp be turned to? Does it matter?

Haven't tried without the cord yet as I didn't have a outlet near the end of garage. Usually on patio, except when freezing rain.

If you haven't bypassed the switch you'll need to have the Bradleys controller on and temp turned all the way up.

Last edited:
Thanks smokers. I will try this weekend again, hopefully. The model comes as literally just plug in and turn up the temp using the original two Bradley cords. They actually wont fit any other way. I will try without cord. Could I have messed up something with element install? Seemed basic.
Thanks all!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky