Now What Are You Up Too?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
I better keep an eye on the girls tonight.
Looks like someone else is up to no good.

IMG_8066.jpg

If I let my chickens free range, I'd be out of chickens in a hurry. I keep them in a welded wire enclosure and the wire actually runs several feet out on the ground from the enclosure, covered by flat rock to keep the beasts from digging in. I also had to run a smaller mesh hardware cloth on the welded wire at the bottom to keep coons from reaching in and killing chickens through the welded wire.

• Wow
Reactions: JLeonard
Predators are so smart and adaptive, it's a constant battle against them! Good luck with keeping your girls safe!

Best way to protect your flock is to eliminate access to predators with fencing. You can't kill them all. You will never get rid of all the foxes, coyotes, possums, coons, weasels, not to mention predatory birds like hawks, owls, etc which you really aren't supposed to "eliminate" legally, anyhow. I don't generally lose chickens to predators, but I don't free range the girls, either.

I can't put a 223 down range, houses around.
Might have to get the Gamo out.

Fox's are bad about getting rabies , have read they like skunks and thats where they contract it from, had a buddy bit by a fox when I was a very young man, glad he got the shots as his buddy was faster than him lol. fox was caught and tested positive,

All went good last night, goats and Eggers all ok.

It also helps to have a big ol' badass GS...if it moves, Jake thinks he's supposed to kill it.

He won't bother my cats or my other dogs (Lucy and Cookie), though...I guess it's because he knows they're "supposed" to be here.

I have not seen mr/mrs fox back this way again

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky