Now the long wait begins: Lonzino & Breasola

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
Lonzino and Breasola off for a nice long nap in the chamber.

1zwvy2R.png

EIcJCJw.jpg

54XJoOX.jpg

ruJohyu.jpg

Those are huge. Looking forward to seeing them!

Decided to check the weight. 6 days in so not much to report but they are dropping a tad.
oC1XaXF.png

Last edited:
Reactions: indaswamp
I used a new product to me as I was out of Mold 600. Was kind of worried it was not taking but after 6 days it s starting to form pretty good on the Lonzino, not so much on the Breasola. Small litlle specs on the Breasola but I'm sure it will come in time.
Lallemand Meat Surface PS521, 10g for $25 replaces Mold 600 from Testek.
WuQ4b73.jpg

Reactions: crazymoon
I always save whatever mold solution is left and put that in a clean spray bottle. Then spray the walls and every nook and cranny in a new drying chamber.....why waste it?? Helps to get more mold spores in contact with the surface of the salumi...

I always save whatever mold solution is left and put that in a clean spray bottle. Then spray the walls and every nook and cranny in a new drying chamber.....why waste it?? Helps to get more mold spores in contact with the surface of the salumi...
Ya thats what I do also but it was over ten years since using the old chamber. Thinking I must have done a deep clean before putting it to bed. Trust me I gave it a good spraying of new mold and it should be good to go in the future. I also followed a few videos from Youtube on how to extend the life of the mold in your spray bottle. Pretty simple actually. Small amount of salt and sugar and it will last for 60 days so they say.

As of May 29th the Breasola is pretty close to being done. Weighed in at 576 grams with a lose of 36.91%.
Want to take it to 40% which will not take very much longer.
Xe8tU3O.jpg

The Lonzino has a ways to go yet. It is only at 23.63%

Breasola is finished. Came out with 39.98 weight lose. A little case hardening but not to bad. They are vac packed and in the fridge for two to three weeks to equalize. Should settle out nicely. Taste is creamy.

Fg8b2qg.png

v8M3ICH.jpg

KL9m7H3.jpg

What are you using as a chamber now? Once the Lonzino is done I will be shutting my chamber down for the summer months as I will be away from home a lot and don't have the time to monitor it.
Camping & fishing season is here in Northern Ontario so I have other plans like sitting in a boat and catching fish :)

I have 2 chambers going, my 13cu.ft. frost free freezer and my new 42.5cu.ft. double door commercial freezer that I gutted and rebuilt using peltier technology.

My double door does not have much hanging in it now. I have been running it for a year and have a few tweaks I want to do to it. Since I have moved both Culatello out of my 13cu.ft. chamber for summer fermentation at room temp., I can move everything there to work on the upgrades to my large chamber. Plan on doing that soon. I also will be calibrating all my RH% controllers as it has been 6 months...the sensors are finicky and need to be checked every 6 months.

OK so June 3rd this got vac sealed and but into the fridge to equalize. Today I I opened it up and all I have to say is WOW. Perfect with no visible hard edge. Sliced a few pieces and was wonderful.
5zwSBkk.jpg

yU4srKg.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky