Now, I know why they call them boning knifes.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ouch!! That sucks, but at least you know you did a bang up job sharpening that knife. :emoji_joy:
But $350 for 4 stitches??? That hospital really must pay their seamstress one heck of an hourly rate.
Heal up fast.
Gary
Good'ol Califunkia pricing, I guess, and that was our insurance deductible E.R. room visit pricing. I can't wait to be from this Communist run State, two more years if we can make it that long. (waiting on my wife to retire).

Youch! Haven't had the pleasure of doing that in awhile! Heal up quick!
Either had I Steve, It's been many years since I've seen my bones, and I'm not in any hurry to revisit them. The Dr said that my Tetanus shot was still good for a year. I asked if they could give me another, so I would be good for 10 more years, and she wouldn't do it. I'm not sure if there is a reason other than they want me to come back to give them more money, or if they can only give it every 10 years.

I have a chainmail glove for when things get serious. They can be had under $20. One advantage is they are also stab proof. The Fabric based ones might not be.
Thanks for the idea, I'm going to look into those, they would probably be great for slicing on and cleaning the meat slicer blade and slicing on the mandolin.

I saw this post yesterday right before I cleaned up some chicken thighs and nicked myself…talk about a jinx! It’s almost like the people who watch the video from The Ring.

Needless to say, it’s nowhere near bad as you got it but I’m off to click on some links

Heal up quick.

• Sad
Reactions: forktender
Yep. Been there. Done that. I cut deeply about 6-8 weeks ago when my wife was out of town. I can look at a cut and say, "that needs stitches." I looked at my cut, had that thought, and knew I'd ruin my wife's visit with our daughter and new granddaughter if I told her I got stitches.

Bled like crazy, but cleaned it up, slathered with antibiotic gel, and wrapped it firmly with a water-proof bandaid. Repeated when changing the bandaid every 24 hours. Now I have to look hard to find the scar.

That was a lesson I learned when flying for the Navy in my young, "live like you're invincible" days. Almost chopped the end of a finger off when pruning a bush. Finger stitches would mean being grounded for a couple weeks or more. Not happening. Can't even see that scar anymore.

Heal fast, Dan. And buy some waterproof bandaids.
I knew, right away, that this was going to require stitches as it was cut to the bone and my finger was caulked over to the side. My wife had just got off a 12 hr shift at her hospital and getting ready to just in her unwind bath with a glass of wine. I walked in with a rag wrapped around my hand covered in blood, her words were "are you kidding me right now" LOL!!!

I was more upset about my wife missing her relaxation time and me missing my guitar lessons today than anything. It was a good thing it wasn't my left / fretting hand, or I'd be taking 14 days off of my lessons.

Good'ol Califunkia pricing, I guess, and that was our insurance deductible E.R. room visit pricing. I can't wait to be from this Communist run State, two more years if we can make it that long. (waiting on my wife to retire).
I'm a 4th generation San Franciso boy, grew up in Redwood City. Ca was a great place to grow up and make a living, it got ruined somewhere along the line. Moved to AZ three years ago, no regrets, never thought it was possible, there are better places to live than CA, love it here! RAY

I saw this post yesterday right before I cleaned up some chicken thighs and nicked myself…talk about a jinx! It’s almost like the people who watch the video from The Ring.

Needless to say, it’s nowhere near bad as you got it but I’m off to click on some links

Heal up quick.
It's weird how stuff like that happens, I have always had a healthy respect for sharp knives. Due to skinning and processing wild game and fish, I think the last time I cut myself was shucking oysters with my pocket knife, which was really stupid on my part. So do me a favor and stay away from oysters for a while so you don't stab the blade into your thumb like I did.

I could bring up what Anthony Bourdain had to say about cutting one's self with a blade, but I'm going going to, I've had enough stitches in my hands to sew a pair of pants. RAY

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
FT, OUCH! I hope you heal quickly and as pain free as possible ! A butcher friend showed me years ago to hold those boning knives with the fingers over the top of the handle instead of underneath. He said it makes it a lot harder to cut yourself and he was right. It was hard to get used to at first but now it's second nature and I'm scar free !

It's heal'in up nicely, today is day seven, it only hurts when I thump it on the steering wheel of my truck or the volume knob on my guitar. I'll leave the stitches in another week before I pull them out, just to be sure it's healed up good and tight. Thanks for the knife tip, I haven't cut myself like this in over 30 yrs, it could've been a whole lot worse, I actually got lucky, that knife is scalpel sharp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky