Now, I know why they call them boning knifes.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forktender

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 10, 2008
NORCAL
I just got done sharpening my knife to bone out a few chickens for the grill.

Well, that's not all I ended up cutting. One slip with a freshly sharpened knife/shaving sharp, ended up costing me $350.00 at the Emergency Room in the middle of the night.

I'm buying some cut resistant gloves.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a good set of cut proof gloves that still allow you to maintain good dexterity?

I can't afford anymore trips to the E.R. on my retirement wages. LOL!!!

Be careful with those sharp knives.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dan.
20220502_003546.jpg

not really , both my wife and i like the ones that sell for $ 12.00 per pair that comes with 3 reinforced fingers , haven't cut ourselves since we bought em !!!

Reactions: forktender
Thank you, I bookmarked your recommendations to look at tonight, I'm ordering a few pairs, so I can keep a set in the RV and each of my boats.:emoji_thumbsup:

Yep. Been there. Done that. I cut deeply about 6-8 weeks ago when my wife was out of town. I can look at a cut and say, "that needs stitches." I looked at my cut, had that thought, and knew I'd ruin my wife's visit with our daughter and new granddaughter if I told her I got stitches.

Bled like crazy, but cleaned it up, slathered with antibiotic gel, and wrapped it firmly with a water-proof bandaid. Repeated when changing the bandaid every 24 hours. Now I have to look hard to find the scar.

That was a lesson I learned when flying for the Navy in my young, "live like you're invincible" days. Almost chopped the end of a finger off when pruning a bush. Finger stitches would mean being grounded for a couple weeks or more. Not happening. Can't even see that scar anymore.

Heal fast, Dan. And buy some waterproof bandaids.

I wear a ''cut glove'' more often
wen feeding bread to the pigs ,,I slice the end of the bread bag open with my buck knife.
do it too many times and I get sloppy and careless.
also wen processing [good to know that its the pigs blood and not mine]
we get ours from a supplier near Detroit with other seasonings ,casings ect are ordered

Mike

Last edited:
Ouch! Can't help with the cut resistant gloves...until I do that but if I do I'm asking for pretty pink stitches like my 3 year old Dobie has now. Heal up quick!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky