Now I am totally confused.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Gentlemen,

I also agree ground meat can be cooked safely using the pasteurization chart but as wade has stated it all comes down to personal confidence and the levels of understanding with what you are doing. IMHO the USDA has come up with a pretty cut and dry solution for instant kill of microorganisms in ground meat to ensure the highest level of food safety to the consumer.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal...e1rh-4GNZeDW9iuxs-57LdTMS53-6i9ioXHjLtmQ!!/#8

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/86649/the-final-word-on-food-safety

Last edited:
Exactly, and well said, Joe.

When I recommend a temp, I'm recommending it to all Forum users, not just those of us who know about special circumstances.

And I'm recommending things that the owner of the forum wants recommended (USDA recommendations).

The first post on the Thread you linked (From Jeff) sums it up as well as can be IMHO:

Link:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/86649/the-final-word-on-food-safety

Thanks,

Bear

Thanks Joe, It is great to see that everyone is in agreement 
icon14.gif

The FSIS document you quoted though is specifically for grilling food - "Use these simple guidelines for grilling food safely" - and in this situation it is much more important to ensure that the correct temperature is reached, as the food is likely to be taken up to that temperature very quickly on the grill and then quickly removed. This is not usually the situation when smoking snack sticks or other meat joints.

You also point to the SMF "Final word on food safety". The "FSIS Guidance on Safe Cooking of Non-Intact Meat Chops, Roasts, and Steaks April 2009" is also an FDA recommendation and so is fully in line with the forum rules.

I think what is needed to be emphasised are the situations under which various temperatures should, or should not, be used - with a strong emphasis on using the recognised recommended safe temperatures. I do not know the exact situation that Bear found himself in when he "got yelled at !!!" but we need to make sure that this does not occur when someone is stating something that us both safe and also complies with FSIS/FDA guidelines. 

Wade,

I would have to say "Yelled At" was an exaggeration used to emphasize my point.

Let's say, I was  "Informed" that 160° IT is the USDA recommended Internal Temp for Beef & Pork Ground meat, therefore it is the Temp to be recommended on SMF.

I Agreed Entirely. No sense confusing things for those who don't have charts to go by.

Bear

Last edited:
If I'm drying paper thin Jerky at 160 for 8 hours. Would that fly with the USDA as lethality treatment? The link for lethality treatment is leading me to believe that I need to have an extra step added where I'm bringing it up to temprature before putting in my dehydrator at 160.

If I'm drying paper thin Jerky at 160 for 8 hours. Would that fly with the USDA as lethality treatment? The link for lethality treatment is leading me to believe that I need to have an extra step added where I'm bringing it up to temprature before putting in my dehydrator at 160.
You are correct...   Jerky needs to be brought up to lethality temp ~ 165 deg. F while it is wet..   One sure method is in a liquid like beef broth or any spice/herb mix broth..   then it can be dried to desired consistency....

The reason....   if dried/dehydrated at a low temperature, pathogens can survive...  dehydrated pathogens will survive lethal temps only to be "reborn" when rehydrated...

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky