NOVICE SMOKER ** Smoking a cooked ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bassplayer4

Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Lubbock, TX
I've read multiple articles on this site, and watched Jeffs smoked ham demo on you tube, as well as a few others about smoking a cooking ham just to infuse smoke flavor and bring up to eating temp.  I was given a rather large bone in ham, 16 lbs.  I was wondering how long and at what temp you guys with more experience would smoke a ham of this size? I am using mesquite as that is what I have readily available and I am using the ECB that has been modified as suggested, with the exception of the vents.

Be careful with that mesquite as it can be very strong. A little goes a long way. This is a precured/smoked ham  that is already cooked right? Its not a raw uncured piece of meat? If it is you are basically just heating it up and smoking it for added flavor. I am guessing a 16 pounder is going to take a little while but I can't remember how long I smoked mine for off the top of my head.

Welcome to SMF, glad you're here, I've done a few hams, basically you're just heating them up, I take mine to 165° I agree with the Mesquite, a little will go a long way, I go by temp, not time, as with everything, except ribs

Yeah it is a pre-cured/cooked ham.  I will be using a charcoal/wood combo, so hopefully I wont over smoke the ham. I was shooting for about 6-8 hrs, at around 210F.  Does that seem reasonable?  Or should I just wait for it to reach a certain temperature?

How much should I expect the outdoor temp to effect my smoking temp?  It's going to be in the 20s when I start with a high of 40.  Which is cold considering that today is in the 70s.

icon_cool.gif

I would say you want to take the ham to maybe 140* internal temp. It really shouldn't take that long maybe 4-5 hours tops I would think. Now I would runn the smoker at maybe 230-250ish.

I too am going to smoke a ham for our christmas dinner. I am hoping not to waste my money on screwing it up. I am so glad that you asked these questions. Not only did you help yourself out, you have helped me out too. Thanks Good luck on the ham.
icon_cool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky