Nothing like waiting till the last minute. Then you feel like a dud and take last place.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tom37

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 24, 2009
Independence Mo
Ok I have known about this contest tomorrow for the last three weeks. My buddy and I got it set up for the girls to cook. 13 years old, both of them. As usual he was taking the trailer rig and I was taking the drums for the girls to cook on.

Even with this being the case, I really didnt have much to take besides the drums.

That was until he called and said he had to work saterday. UUMMmmmmmmm That leaves me to cook for my team. Not a bid deal. But doing that and also making sure the girls are safe is alot. I had to make a decision as whether I wanted to take the big rig or wing it the old way.

I also have a retirement party to attend after the bbq. So with that said I decided to leave the big rig at home this trip. 2 drums for the girls to cook on and my still in progress RF for myself to cook on. When I finally got indoors tonight my 16 foot flat trailer is about 3/4 full.

The girls were sad when they found out we are leaving at 6:30 in the AM LOL. It will be a wild day I'm sure. One of the teams we always cook with said they have a couple extra people that are gonna help watch out for the girls. Then the woman that is in charge of the contest said she really likes the idea of them cooking and wants to make a big deal about it. Then she said it would really make her day if the girls whoop it up on the old timers.

I won't get to update until late tomorrow night but I will do my best to get some pics up as soon as I get home.

I have smart chicken boneless breast thats getting cooked in muffin pans, and I want to cut the muffin top off so I can stack them real nice in the turn in box. we'll see what happens.

I have several 3 lb loins and 9 slabs of spares.

Oh how fun! Tom you are going to be one worn out puppy tonite! Looking forward to some Q-view! Good luck to you and the girls!

Thanks everybody!!!!  I appreciate it. It should be an adventure for sure.

One thing is for sure, getting up at 5:40 like I do on the weekdays still isn't fun. I'm not even bright eyed and bushy tailed yet!!!!  HeHeHeHe that was a squirrel joke.
icon_mrgreen.gif

I just woke the girls up and they growled at me. Opps. Then I find out that they are actually sleeping in compared to school days when they have to get super beautified. LOL They still got the beautification thing going but its not the same. Ya know, at school they're like gonna see there boyfriend and all.

You all have a great day, we oughtta be outta here in about ten minutes.

Maybe someone oughtta pray for me! Boy I sure hope I make it back.

icon_cool.gif

Yes it sounds like you will have one heck of a day in front of you. But I know you can do it.

Ok I have now decided that is Sucks to try and cook for one team while you oversee another!!!!

The girls were awesome, completely and totally awesome. Bless there heart, they even pulled the membrane on the spares. Everyone loved having them there. One of our more friendly teams helped out alot, he even brought his sauce for them to use and thats a big deal since he Never lets that one out of the bag of tricks.

The ribs were about a 321 method.

The chicken was skinless boneless breast and they got stuffed in muffin pans. Mess this one up for my team, I was planning orange marmalade for my pork and doe doe me put it on the chicken. Didn't realize it until I was putting it on the last piece. OPPS!  I did have nice color and shape, I thought. Oh ya we cut the muffin top off and thats the part we both turned in.

The pork loin was 3 too 3 lbs and rather large around, like the giant loins. Mine had juice running from it like a garden hose, I evoo'ed it with S&P. The girls used jeffs rub on theres. Bad news was theres was dry.

I think the evoo is what makes the difference on dryness.

Then there was Beans, bush bold and spicy along with pork & beans, half a small bottle of masterpiece, 3/4 lb of brisket and left over rib parts. Then I had to add a little dry rub to spice it up a little.

I took dead last in all three mains. The girls were 11 overall out of 17, I will have to update the three scores when I get the sheet.

But I took first place with them. Anyhow, heres a few pics.

ab16c61f_100_5953.jpg

ef5ff7a3_100_5964.jpg

2e22d93f_100_5965.jpg

There was an award for best approach to receive the winnings.

f9186a54_100_5979.jpg

37f3f924_100_5980.jpg

4b599112_100_5981.jpg

98665ef2_100_5991.jpg

73b3e0fc_100_5993.jpg

The girls beat out the above pics for best approach since they did a gymnastics routine on there way up.

Grandma has more pics but it will take a day or two for me to get by there and pic up a cd. I'm sure there will be a few good ones that I will have to update with.

Reactions: meateater
Sounds like a awesome time. Congrats to the girls.

Awww, you should get an award for taking the time to teach these young girls about cooking! How many girls their age have any interest in that? So, you are number 1 in my book! I want to see pics of their gymnastic routine, how creative!

Most important---You took 1st place with the girls!

Sooooo, their gymnastics was better than that guy rolling around?

Much prettier too!

Thanks for showing the pics,

Bear

Thanks everybody!!!!  I appreciate it. It should be an adventure for sure.

One thing is for sure, getting up at 5:40 like I do on the weekdays still isn't fun. I'm not even bright eyed and bushy tailed yet!!!!  HeHeHeHe that was a squirrel joke.
icon_mrgreen.gif

I just woke the girls up and they growled at me. Opps. Then I find out that they are actually sleeping in compared to school days when they have to get super beautified. LOL They still got the beautification thing going but its not the same. Ya know, at school they're like gonna see there boyfriend and all.

You all have a great day, we oughtta be outta here in about ten minutes.

Maybe someone oughtta pray for me! Boy I sure hope I make it back.
had to lol

Squirrel, as soon as I can get the other cd I will post a couple pics of the gymnastics.

It really was alot of fun. Would I do it again, Heck Ya. They are the ones that mixed up jeff's rub along with a batch of jeff's sauce as well. My step daughter ask me this morning if I switched beans with them LOL.

Kinda off topic here, but of the one's of you that use Jeffs sauce. How many of you wait and put it on after the cook while the food is on the plate and how many of you baste it or cook it on the meat? I like the sauce as it is in the container, but I'm still on the fence as to how I want to use it. I'm gonna try both but I just wanted to see what some of ya do with it for success.

HEHEHE while I have been sitting here typing my step daughter is telling me I need to give up the team I have with my buddy and make a team with her. Now I have some thinking to do. Time to regroup and punt.

Pan, I like the vid clip, thats a good one.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky