Nothing fancy, just a couple of meals

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well with all the roast posts I've been reading lately. I was getting mighty hungry and jealous for an open faced roast beef sammy. The local grocer had some good looking roast beef for sale yesterday and I couldn't resist. So with the weather being as crappy as it's been. This was my chance to satisfy my hankering.

Just one pick of my sammy smothered in gravy.
DSC04712.JPG

I also decided to unthaw a meat pie my wife made for supper tonight and a couple meals for work this weekend.
DSC04736.JPG

Sliced shot
DSC04739.JPG

Chris

That sammy!!!!! Man that looks great. And that pie looks mighty good also.
Jim
Thanks Jim, Open faced RB is my favorite sammy and with all the posts recently I was jones'in for one. My MIL introduced me to the meat pie when I started dating my wife. She's French Canadian and I think it's FC mainstay. I've also been known to call it Frog pie just to pi$$ her off. She'd then yell at me in French and I'd have to have my BIL tell me what she said.

Chris

Well with all the roast posts I've been reading lately. I was getting mighty hungry and jealous for an open faced roast beef sammy. The local grocer had some good looking roast beef for sale yesterday and I couldn't resist. So with the weather being as crappy as it's been. This was my chance to satisfy my hankering. Just one pick of my sammy smothered in gravy. I also decided to unthaw a meat pie my wife made for supper tonight and a couple meals for work this weekend. Sliced shot Chris
I never had any meat pie Chris, but that sanny and fries really catches my eye, looks delicious. No veggies Chris? You want to have to get vitamin shots? That's what mama used to tell my sister, I didn't need to be told, I ate my vegetables, so there! RAY

Reactions: gmc2003
I never had any meat pie Chris, but that sanny and fries really catches my eye, looks delicious. No veggies Chris? You want to have to get vitamin shots? That's what mama used to tell my sister, I didn't need to be told, I ate my vegetables, so there! RAY
Appreciate it Ray. Yes I did have a bowl of spinach with the meal. I'm not one for having too many items on my plate at once. So I kind of either eat things one at a time or use multiple plates(which my wife still hates, but understands). At work I drink a can of either V8 or tomato juice.

Chris

Man that looks good ! Making me hungry , and I've been trying to eat light at lunchtime .
I took the hint yesterday . Had an open face with the leftovers . Bread , spread with mashed taters , beef and gravy on top of that . Put me down for a " 3 hour tour " in the recliner .

That meat pie looks interesting . What type of spice profile ? I worked around a French Canadian once , but he only ate Labatts Blue .

Man that looks good ! Making me hungry , and I've been trying to eat light at lunchtime .
I took the hint yesterday . Had an open face with the leftovers . Bread , spread with mashed taters , beef and gravy on top of that . Put me down for a " 3 hour tour " in the recliner .

That meat pie looks interesting . What type of spice profile ? I worked around a French Canadian once , but he only ate Labatts Blue .

Appreciate it Rich, The meat pie ingredients are pretty simple 3 lbs ground pork, 1 lb ground beef, 1 larger onion diced, 8 cups of water with 8 bouillon cubes, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 heaping teaspoon of black pepper, and two pie crusts tops and bottoms. It makes two pies. Salt and pepper can be adjusted to taste.

Your buddy must have been from Old Montreal. We used to make beer runs into Canada for Brador beer. We'd also casually pick up some fireworks.

Chris

Some fine looking stuff there Chris. I've been a HUGE fan of open faced roast beef sandwiches my whole life. Something just warm and comforting about them....plus they taste really good :emoji_wink:
I also decided to unthaw a meat pie
Why would you freeze it before cooking and eating? Me thinks this may be a grammatical miscue :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Both look great, Chris, but tell me more about that pie...
Thanks Charles, The pie has taken over lasagna as my favorite dish. I don't have the cooking instructions currently and the wife is babysitting the grandson. So I'll have to get back at ya with those. From memory it's pretty simple. Sweat the onions add the broth and meat to the pot simmer the broth and stir occasionally until the meat is cooked and most of the broth has evaporated. Then stir in the seasonings. Use a slotted spoon to get the meat out of the leftover broth and make a pie. You want some liquid in the pie but not to much.
Some fine looking stuff there Chris. I've been a HUGE fan of open faced roast beef sandwiches my whole life. Something just warm and comforting about them....plus they taste really good :emoji_wink:

Why would you freeze it before cooking and eating? Me thinks this may be a grammatical miscue :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Thanks Robert, the ingredient amounts I listed are for two pies. I start on one when it comes out of the oven and the other I freeze the next day.
Man both the beef and the meat pie make me hungry!! Good stuff Chris.
Appreciate it Jeff. Her mother would make 10+ pies at Christmas for all the kids and grandkids when they got older and lived on their own.

Chris

Reactions: jcam222
That's some great looking grub Chris. Nice job!
Thanks Dave, I was getting a little jealous from all the posts I've been reading lately.

Chris

It’s hard to beat an open faced roast beef sandwich, Chris. Nicely done! It’s definitely a favorite of mine, the soggy gravy soaked white bread underneath is my favorite part!

Thanks xray, Yup just heat the RB up in the gravy and then pour it over the bread. Gravy soaked bread and blood bread are two of my fav's.

Chris

Open mouth, insert open face! Meat pie sounds divine know what I'm talking aboot!

Appreciate it Buckeye, I love them both.

Chris

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Thanks Justin, I posted what I know. I'll have to ask the wife for the complete instructions. She's kind of beat at the moment from watching our two year old grandson.

Chris

Both look awesome Chris and I'm sure tasted even better

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky