Nostalgia (at least for me) with some chicken thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 12, 2019
Allentown, PA
Hey all,
I’ve been using the vortex and other techniques to cook chicken thighs etc. lately. But the other day I decided to just to a nice grilling session over some hot hickory lump. So I took a few boneless thighs, seasoned em up, and threw em on. Followed it up with some sweet potatoes. Simple.

But for whatever reason that flavor hit like it came off a backyard grill from when I was a kid. Some salt, some spice, and whole big punch of char. Can’t remember doing them like this in a while and I’ll be doin it more (totally understanding that lots of folks do it this way all the time).

Thanks for lookin!

DC724EC4-6973-4EF8-AFC6-1C00A808E3D6.jpeg 2D784521-ACC0-4F29-B6BC-DFC580EC2586.jpeg 03E1B525-2756-470C-8611-84039816D081.jpeg 7EF19830-6981-49BC-B2DF-86E465820577.jpeg

Looks good and funny you did this. I was talking to my Wife and said I would love to have the chicken Dad grilled growing up. Now I won't be including the copious amount of Lighter Fluid Dad used to get the Charcoal going, but I did have my Wife buy a bottle of BULLSEYE BBQ SAUCE...JJ

• Haha
Reactions: JCAP and jmusser
flavor hit like it came off a backyard grill from when I was a kid
I totally get it . Couple weeks ago I tried the Dr. Bakers chicken posted at the top of this forum .
The smell coming from that reminded me of 1965 . Dad in the backyard with one of those open hood type grills . Maull's bbq sauce and Falstaff beer .

Need to add , the chicken looks great . Love that char on the skin .

Reactions: JCAP
Love a good char on my chicken too. It can be a little tricky not to let the flare-ups get out of hand with all the fat rendering out of the thighs. But I also think that's part of the magic just what Brian said:
Nothing like the flavor from the juices hitting the coals.

Wife buy a bottle of BULLSEYE BBQ SAUCE...JJ

Bullseye! Now there is a brand I haven't seen in a while... It's the Kraft brand that does it for me for the "oldschooll" flavor, but I remember switching to Bullseye when it came out because I liked it better... hmmm. Come to think of it, I think it was made by Kraft? Must find some now!

Those look delicious!
Judy makes bone in skin on breasts on the grill that are to die for.
No smoke, just grilled chicken. She sauces them thru out the cook. & flips them numerous times. What a mess on the grill, but I clean it up cause she did the cooking.
Al

My dad HATED chicken, so I didn't get it much growing up. Then we moved from CA to TN in my early teen years. We had a next door neighbor who grilled four parted chickens every summer weekend. I was in grilled, charred chicken heaven.

Thanks for the inspiration, JCAP! I've got two whole birds in the freezer. Time to part and grill!

Thanks for the likes and comments all. It’s good to hear that we all have that nostalgic memory that we like to recreate!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky