Northern Michigan Red Oak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boisblancboy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Bois Blanc Island, Michigan
So in my area I have access to as much red oak as I can get my hands on. Well just about 2 weeks ago I found, cut down and split a dead standing red oak tree. Didn’t hardly have any bark on it. Well today for Christmas I got a wood moisture meter. Right away I couldn’t help myself and tested some of that oak. Just about every piece I tested was at 18%, that pretty decent to burn?

Well I used this new wood I split one time and could tell it wasn’t as dry as I tested. So I split a few pieces and tested in the core. 24-25%. So I resplit a lot of the pieces that were a little big, stacked some under the smoker and filled 2 mills crates of them and placed them behind my wood stove. The pieces now are roughly 1.5”x1.5”x12”. Figured even with the smaller size I may feed the smoker a little more but that’s ok. I like playing with Fire.

C9D735E3-ADAA-4C34-A02D-A709071A8340.jpeg
6C3D97B1-4298-4477-9963-9981316D49E6.jpeg

Reactions: yankee2bbq
With out a doubt, god to go. I burn about 4 cores in the winter, and that's a good percentage.
Wish I had that much oak to get my hands on.

I’d definintly burned but wanted to make a lot of white smoke and sizzled for awhile. So I figured it wouldnt hurt to dry it out more and with smaller splits it will happen faster.

I’d definintly burned but wanted to make a lot of white smoke and sizzled for awhile. So I figured it wouldnt hurt to dry it out more and with smaller splits it will happen faster.
Yup your right, you can dry it out a little more, and smaller splits will make it happen, with that being said, 20% is acceptable, 18% is good, anything below that is better.
You know what your doing.

Reactions: boisblancboy
By the way, is red oak, red oak? What I mean is, in So Cal we have lots of oak and I believe it is red oak because I buy oak from wood yards and it's always red oak. So is red oak in Michigan the same as red oak in So Cal and other places? I know different oaks have their own characteristics such as white oak, red oak, and post oak. Post oak you can find a lot in Texas.

Congrats on your red oak you have. I am all for finding free wood. I think I can find free red oak here in So Cal. See my posting and thread on getting free wood and how I got some free maple wood. Not sure if I can find free mesquite and hickory here in So Cal. Not sure how common if at all it is here. Just not sure but I can do a Google search on that.

By the way, is red oak, red oak? What I mean is, in So Cal we have lots of oak and I believe it is red oak because I buy oak from wood yards and it's always red oak. So is red oak in Michigan the same as red oak in So Cal and other places? I know different oaks have their own characteristics such as white oak, red oak, and post oak. Post oak you can find a lot in Texas.

Congrats on your red oak you have. I am all for finding free wood. I think I can find free red oak here in So Cal. See my posting and thread on getting free wood and how I got some free maple wood. Not sure if I can find free mesquite and hickory here in So Cal. Not sure how common if at all it is here. Just not sure but I can do a Google search on that.

I'm no tree expert but I'd say from region to region all trees have change with different characteristics. If you able to get your hands on it, go for it. In my area red oak is the best and easiest wood to get my hands on. While I have other species I can get here also, the amounts that I can stock up can be hard, which include fruit trees.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky