Non Mammal Meat Ideas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rwilli

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
Central New Mexico
I have a family member that can't eat mammal meat because he has the Alpha-Gal syndrome caused by the Lone Star tick (and he was a hard core meat eater). I was hopping some of you could give me some ideas on what to cook that doesn't involve mammal meat. I first though of Smoked Salmon, but he is not much of a Salmon fan. Shellfish, chicken, turkey etc are all on the table plus anything else you can think of---Ideas are appreciated. We are planning a get together in a few weeks, so I think some Louisiana Crawfish Etouffee will start the menu--But I was hoping to cook something on the smoker as well--

Thanks,

Bob

You pretty much covered all the non mammal stuff lol. Smoked bacon wrapped scallops are delicious. Sorry about your family member. I don't think I'd handle that allergy very well!

Reactions: bigfurmn and rwilli
There are other fish besides salmon. Flounder, redfish, any of the various snappers or groupers, tuna just to name a few. All are good grilled, baked, broiled, pan seared, etc., and some are very good smoked.

Reactions: TNJAKE and rwilli
Try something out the ordinary grill menu; make some "classy" kabobs/skewers. Ideas: shrimp skewers with pineapple chunks, with cut bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc. Other ideas would include smoked tofu with shrimp and any combination of fruit, vegetables, seafood s the main skewer ingredients and serve a non-mammal protein.

Skewers/Kabobs go very well with the various side dishes served with grilled meals.

They are simple to make, don't take a long time to cook, and look neat when plated. They can be smoked, grilled or a rotisserie.

Keep us in the loop with your decision, recipe, and photos of the outcome. 🍻
John

Reactions: TNJAKE
Try something out the ordinary grill menu; make some "classy" kabobs/skewers. Ideas: shrimp skewers with pineapple chunks, with cut bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc. Other ideas would include smoked tofu with shrimp and any combination of fruit, vegetables, seafood s the main skewer ingredients and serve a non-mammal protein.

Skewers/Kabobs go very well with the various side dishes served with grilled meals.

They are simple to make, don't take a long time to cook, and look neat when plated. They can be smoked, grilled or a rotisserie.

John
John, Thanks, You are absoluetly correct---And I will certainly put those on the list. Thanks again
There are other fish besides salmon. Flounder, redfish, any of the various snappers or groupers, tuna just to name a few. All are good grilled, baked, broiled, pan seared, etc., and some are very good smoked.
You are correct, I will keep my eyes and ears open

John
Love the kabob idea. So many options........I will say though. If I ever get bit by one of the red meat ticks and someone offers me tofu......they will die lol.

That's like kicking a dude in the nuts right after his vasectomy

Here's a link to a Smoked Catfish cook by Smkryng, I saved but haven't tried yet.
Might suite the bill.

If Red Meat is what's missing. Definately look for EMU or Ostrich. Dad was a Butcher and hardcore beef eater. I grilled an Emu Fan Fillet, a tender cut from the Leg, similar in size and shape to a Tri-Tip, and Dad had No Idea it was not Beef! Dad raved about how tender and flavorful the Emu was. It's not Cheap but will certainly make a lasting impression. Ostrich is also nearly identical to beef in flavor. Serve either No More than Medium, Med/Rare preferred. Emu and Ostrich are Extremely low in fat and beyond Medium, get dry and tough...JJ

Reactions: Fueling Around
Did some smoked cod …holds up nicely in smoker/grill.
Some variation of a fattie with ground chicken or Turkey could be good, use Turkey bacon for the weave.
While talking Turkey bacon, bacon wrapped bnls chicken thighs are one of my staples.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky