Nobody ate the ham bone..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks fantastic! Never had spicy bean soup like that and will keep that in mind. Thanks for sharing! Oh man tho, split pea... Have not had that like in 20 years. That needs to happen.

Was not gonna post but since you did, made stock yesterday with our TG turkey and think it will be a holiday tradition from now on. Oh man the smell, football on, Christmas stuff up, Christmas beer in hand...

View attachment 650195
made stock yesterday with our TG turkey and think it will be a holiday tradition from now on. Oh man the smell
Ohh yeah. Making your own stock is divine. I never throw away a shrimp peel without making a shrimp stock for my gumbo or jamby..

Great use of those leftovers, really nice work there Pete! I'm a split pea soup guy, tho it's more of a ham soup by the time I finish add all the meat. RAY

Reactions: gmc2003
Thanks for sharing, I do an almost identical mix with all my ham bones even if they have been frozen for a while, sometimes adding more smoked ham. I find a marked reduction in "gastric expansions" by soaking the beans overnight in plain water in a bowl, then rinsing a few times before adding to the crock pot with the additional ingredients. I do add a few splashes of tobasco and a very few drops of liquid smoke at times also.

I had one in the slow cooker all day. After I pulled it I saw the neighbors walking their golden retriever. I asked them if their dog wanted a bone. They told me they don't give their dog bones. Poor dog.

I had one in the slow cooker all day. After I pulled it I saw the neighbors walking their golden retriever. I asked them if their dog wanted a bone. They told me they don't give their dog bones. Poor dog.
Cooked bones aren't good for dogs. Raw bones are fine but cooked bones can splinter and cause some major health issue.

Chris

Cooked bones aren't good for dogs. Raw bones are fine but cooked bones can splinter and cause some major health issue.

Chris
Beat me to it.
What you can do is boil out / off anything remaining. Bleach it for a day or two and try your hand at scrimshaw.

Thanks for sharing, I do an almost identical mix with all my ham bones even if they have been frozen for a while, sometimes adding more smoked ham. I find a marked reduction in "gastric expansions" by soaking the beans overnight in plain water in a bowl, then rinsing a few times before adding to the crock pot with the additional ingredients. I do add a few splashes of tobasco and a very few drops of liquid smoke at times also.
I don't soak but I do add my stock just after it comes to a boil. It helps get the crock up to temp a little quicker.. When I do them anytime other than Thanksgiving, I use smoked ham hocks. Dem make some good beans.

Hambone Gumbo now in progress.
Hambone Gumbo.jpg
Already dumped in the sausage. Rice, 3 kinds of beans and veggies waiting to jump in.

Reactions: TKOBBQ1 and BigW.
HMMM I have been throwing the bones out after I double smoke the hams.
And I might add, I do not spend time trimming the ham so close to the bone, all of it, the fat I quickly trim off, and usually some of the double smoked ham go into the pot with the beans for flavoring. Just my way of doing mine

Reactions: clifish
And I might add, I do not spend time trimming the ham so close to the bone, all of it, the fat I quickly trim off, and usually some of the double smoked ham go into the pot with the beans for flavoring. Just my way of doing mine
This year as with a few in the past, we ended up with a lot of leftover ham so the first thing I did was make some deviled ham for the wife and kids. They love that stuff. The bone and beans are only for me so there isn't much left on it.

This year as with a few in the past, we ended up with a lot of leftover ham so the first thing I did was make some deviled ham for the wife and kids. They love that stuff. The bone and beans are only for me so there isn't much left on it.
What is deviled ham? Never heard of it

For us it's black eyed peas. Always.
I don't trim the bone close on purpose.

I like most types of peas and beans, but I can't do black eyed peas. My wife once told me I had to for good luck on New Years, I said I'd stick with the same bad luck like usual lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky