NO PELLET SMOKER YET….

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

threefingers2

Original poster
Jun 30, 2012
Mandan, North Dakota
Hello to everyone  from North Dakota…. I am trying to figure out what brand of pellet smoker/grill to buy. My price range is leaning towards a Green Mountain. There sure are a lot of different brands out there. Every one that has one  that i have read seams to like there brand they bought so i guess just pick one in my price range or is there a cooking difference ? I guess customer service is important to me also so maybe i should call each brand and see how a new potential customer is treated. I thought i would come to this site and get the pro's  brand preferences and thoughts.  Thanks for letting me on and happy grilling.       Craig

Traeger is cheaper then the Green Mountain.

The Green Mountain is the next up the scale from Traeger and the GM is a much better pit.

Everybody I talk to and what I have read is GM service is top notch. 

The Green Mountain has a remote feature.

Bottom line, unless you want to spend more money the Green Mountain is a good choice in my opinion.

While I have a Yoder and am very happy with it, my Son in Law has one of the Green Mountains and says it does a GREAT job.  Hard for me to judge as he's on one coast and I'm on the other.

Joe

Great to have you here on SMF Craig!
welcome1.gif

Being a Yoder owner and loving it, I can say I have heard nothing but positive reviews on the Green Mountain.

You'll have to decide what your budget is

I purchased a Trager Texas(Clone), and want something different

It's an entry level smoker with some quirks and inadequacies that I just have to live with

Temp maxes out at 400°, so grilling steaks is not really possible

For a few hundred bucks more than a Traeger, you can get a pellet grill/smoker that will make you much happier in the long run.

I don't regret my purchase, because it got me into a pellet smoker for cheap.

Now that I'm more educated, I will choose more carefully this time

Todd

I just bought the Green mountain pellet grill ( Jim Bowie) with the stainless lid. The only problem was that the lid didn't fit perfect but did not effect the temperture at all. ( that I could tell ). But cooking with it is great. I smoked my first brisket ( 8 1/2 lbs. for 15 hours ) And it came out perfect. Just like the book said I was able to cut a 1/8 inch slice with a plastic fork. The electronic plug-in thermomerter is the best feature of all. It takes all the guess work out of it.     Like yourself I choose the green mountain cause of the cost. I was wanting to buy the Yoder in the beginning. So far I'm happy with what I have. Good luck in choosing. I hope this helps.

I just purchased the Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone and couldn't be happier.  It looks great, cooks even better and i have used it 5 times in the last two weeks and it holds the temp perfectly.

Last edited:
I just purchased a yoder 640, I have had it for three weeks. I had an ignitor go out on day 5, called yoder and they sent one out the same day. No hassles at all. As of now I have used it for the following.
14 pound brisket 18 hr smoke
Chicken breast cooked using smoker as a grille
Ribeye steaks (grille)
Veggie kabobs (grille)
Stuffed pork chops (grille)
Picnic 2each 24 hour smoke
Picnic 6 each 23 hour smoke
bacon with cheese stuffed burgers (grille)

This unit works better than I expected in smoke and grille modes, I am now going to part with my gas grille and rebuild my outdoor kitchen to install the yoder permanent.

Holy cow mike thats a lot of good eaten, someday when i get mine i hope to learn a lot of what you guys know.  Thanks for your comment and your time in typing it.     Craig

Hi chisox… Say can you sear steaks on the gmg? and have you found any cold or hotter spots on the grate when say like cooking burgers?  thanks again.     craig

I did alot of research into pellet grills before I bought mine, and for price, construction, quality, and customer service I went with the GMG Daniel Boone.  It's a top notch, well built unit, with second to none customer service direct from the factory.

I know where there is a MAK 2 Star #48 for sale with all the goodies including remote.

However  Ya have to pick it up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky