No Foil Ribs on UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

willygm

Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
Sawyer KS
So built a UDS. Wouldn't cook on anything ever again. So I've been doing 3-2-1 method on ribs lately and not a fan. Looked around and not much on anything other then that method. Would like to try no foil. Questions

1: How long
2: What temp
3: Any other suggestions

Thanks in advance.

I like to do my non-foil Naked ribs in a 250-265 degree smoker. For beef and spare ribs I shoot for 5-6 hours. Baby backs 4-5 hours. I look for meat pull back and on full racks I do the bend test. Pick up ribs about mid point of rack and should bend almost 90 degrees.

Sorry I'm obviously a newbie. So it takes the same time as the 3-2-1 method. So what are the benefits of foiling over not?

On a normal smoker I go 275-300 and you're looking at 3-4 hours on spares and less on BB..    I have another cooker where my last ribs took maybe hour and a half....best ribs i've  had i  think. 

Well thanks. Gonna fire it up in the morning. Gonna start with chicken thighs in morning then ribs when that's done. So thighs for lunch and ribs for dinner. Thanks guys.

So by not foiling do the ribs come out dry. Or drier. Like I said I have only ever foiled. They come out plenty moist, but always falling off the bone. Family loves them. I don't. Just looking for something I enjoy a little more. Never done it with no foil so a little nervous. Have tried two briskets and both come out horrible. So time for a good cook.

I have done no foil before, the ribs are just a little drier. No biggie but sometimes takes a little longer to cook.

Last edited:
So by not foiling do the ribs come out dry. Or drier. Like I said I have only ever foiled. They come out plenty moist, but always falling off the bone. Family loves them. I don't. Just looking for something I enjoy a little more. Never done it with no foil so a little nervous. Have tried two briskets and both come out horrible. So time for a good cook.
when you foil if you don't want yours falling off the bone cut down your time in the foil. try 3-1.5 -1.5 method. with no foiling just spray more often so they don't dry out.

I never foil my ribs and have never had a dry rack to date. Did some babyback's on Saturday that are fall off the bone went for about 4 1/2 hours at 250. Simple process start smoker remove meat from fridge remove silver skin coat with rub and on the smoker cook till done.

Last edited:
Reactions: gril1 sgt
Do I need to spray with no foil? I like salt and pepper only. Sorry for all the rookie questions.

Asking ?s is how we learn, so don't be sorry
icon14.gif

I never foil spay about every hr or hr  an half. Ribs for me take about 7hrs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky