No boil Macaroni Mac & cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am definitely giving this a try. Maybe with a smoked meatloaf... 
grilling_smilie.gif

OK - this is so good I just made it again... made a few changes...

Increased the pasta by about a cup or so ( I was also using penne, not elbows cause I didn't have any)

20 oz of cheese - 4 os of mozzarella and 16 oz of a cheedar mix.

4 cups whole milk, 1 cup 1/2 and 1/2.

Amazingly good!

Wow I'm going to have to try this (the smoking it part).  I think I'll use my favorite baked mac & cheese recipe.  It starts out semi cooked (about 6 minutes on the pasta vs. 9-10 if you cooked all the way).  It normally bakes for 30 mins at 350 (IIRC) so it would probably go a solid hour in the smoker.

I tried it today and it came out pretty awesome. I used about 20oz of cheese, 3 cups elbow mac, 1 stick of butter, 4 cups milk and one cup half and half and tossed in some broccoli. Next time I will use a sharp cheddar and add more broccoli and maybe some bacon.

After about 3 hours in the smoker it was ready, then I tossed some Italian breadcrumbs on it and hit it up in the broiler for a bit to crisp it up.

Everything in the dish waiting to jump into the smoker.

Nice and chewy, not soggy, mushy or runny at all. Good stuff!

I am going to give this a try today.  I was wondering if anyone has mixed this up in the morning and put it in the fridge and then pulled it out to throw in the smoker later in the day?  I was just wondering if the pasta would turn out funky sitting in milk for several hours.  I will try and post pics. 

Gotta say this is the easiest and best mac and cheeses ever. You can tweak it however you like from mild to spicy and it always turns out great.Today I put fresh tomatoes,jalopenos and bacon into the original recipe and it turned out great. Thank You Bpop for the start up recipe!!!

Gonna give this a try tomorrow in the smoker (MES 40). Quick question though....I'll also be smoking 3 racks of baby backs 2-2-1. How far along in the smoke would you suggest I put it in to be done close to the same time as the ribs? I know the added mass will drop the temp some and which rack would you place it on. Planned on using top rack and a pyrex glass dish.

I tried the oven version with mixed review. The best part of the recipe was that it was EASY!!

We went with 12 oz of Cheddar and 4oz of cream cheese (because that's what I had on hand). After 45 minutes added some nice crispy bacon and topped it with a layer of cheddar. The texture was a little off due to the cream cheese. Overall the taste was good, but greasy. I'm thinking about using a ricotta or something that melts a little better than cream cheese. Thanks for the recipe! Once I get it dialed in in the oven, I'll smoke it!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I tried the oven version with mixed review. The best part of the recipe was that it was EASY!!
We went with 12 oz of Cheddar and 4oz of cream cheese (because that's what I had on hand). After 45 minutes added some nice crispy bacon and topped it with a layer of cheddar. The texture was a little off due to the cream cheese. Overall the taste was good, but greasy. I'm thinking about using a ricotta or something that melts a little better than cream cheese. Thanks for the recipe! Once I get it dialed in in the oven, I'll smoke it!
Did you use the pre-shredded in a bag type cheddar?  If so try a good quality sharp cheddar block and grate it yourself.  I seem to remember reading cheap stuff tends to be really oily like that because it's partly made with oil/fat as a filler instead of just milk.  I make a baked mac & cheese that uses 12 ounces of cheddar, 3 cups milk, etc. and it never turns out oily/greasy.  It also only uses 3 tablespoons of butter & flour combined into a roux though.  Since the OP's recipe is using nearly 3x that amount of butter (one stick 8 tablespoons) that could be partly it, especially if you used a margarine type product instead of real butter.

OK, thanks. This time I might cut down the butter and try some good quality cheddar.

I am going to give this a try today.  I was wondering if anyone has mixed this up in the morning and put it in the fridge and then pulled it out to throw in the smoker later in the day?  I was just wondering if the pasta would turn out funky sitting in milk for several hours.  I will try and post pics. 
Sorry for the late response... I would put it all together, but leave the milk out till you are ready to cook it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky