1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

No boil Macaroni Mac & cheese

Discussion in 'Side Items' started by bpopovitz, Jul 20, 2010.

1.  I've been using this mac & cheese recipe for years.  Doesnt even reuitre you to pre-cook the mac .  Takes a bit longer but hey we all like food that takes awhile.  Only 1 dirty dish and it's delicious.

Basic recipe:

2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni

1 stick butter

12 ounces yellow cheddar cheese

4 Ozs. mozzarella cheese

5 cups milk

salt and pepper to taste

Pre heat oven 350,

Layer macaroni, butter, and cheese in the order given in a 9-by-13 dish.  Pour milk over the top layer. Bake 1 hr. do not cover.

To prevent this dish from becoming too brown and crusty, cover with foil for the last 15 min. of baking.

Additions:

I have experimented with other cheeses, provolone, co-jack, pepper jack, parm.  All good.  I've also added some pre-cooked chicken in at the last 15-20 minutes.  I'm tinking some smoked chicken next time.  Could be good.

On the cheese substitutions just remember the total cheese amount needs to be 16 ounces. 

2. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

that sounds good I will have to give it a try

3. adiochiro3

adiochiro3 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I'm thinkin this might work great in the smoker!

smokeusum likes this.
  4. going to give this a try  thanks   [​IMG]

5. Wonder how long that would take in the smoker? Regardless I am going to be trying it.[​IMG]

6. I'm betting on about 2 hours.  I know I should have tested it on the smoker first, but I figured there are plenty of peopl out here who love to experiment.

7. Okay, I finally got around to trying this int the smoker.  Took 1 hour 40 minutes at 250 (I ran a bit hotter than usual today for some reason)

Here are some pics. First one is proof that we start with uncooked macaroni, second - layered remaining ingredients, then finally the finished product.  I also made only half the recipe as it was just me and the kids last night for dinner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  8. so, how was it?????   [​IMG]

9. lucky13

lucky13 Smoke Blower

Thanks!  With 3 small kids in the house Mac & Cheese is a staple around our place.  Gonna have to give it a try.

10. Wildflower,

It was delicious, the smoke flavor was present in every part of mac & cheese.  I think that the smokiness penetrated the food even better since the mac was uncooked when it went in that gave time to soak up even more flavor.

I used a mixture of hickory and apple. 

11. pandemonium

pandemonium Master of the Pit

looks good!!

12. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Will try this, thanks for sharing

13. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Man.... my kids are gonna love this!.... and it gives me yet one more reason to fire up the smoker! [​IMG]

14. jirodriguez

Well the expirement is in progress. I did the same recipe Bpopovitz has at the top of the page, but added to it. The layers in order are 1 box dry mac., 1 stick butter sliced into pats and spread on noodles, about 1 lb. smoked pulled pork, salt & pepper, 2 cups broccoli florrets, cheese, and milk. Hope it turns out well... will post a pic when its done :)

vute81 likes this.
  15. jirodriguez

Can you say CHEESE! lol.... man this made for a super simple easy dinner, definately on my go-to list! Will have to play with the mix of cheeses a bit, something with less oil in it than the chedder, but other than that it was really, really good! Thanks for a great recipe Bpopovitz.

... on to the pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

greg b likes this.
  16. Way to go Johnny, I love taking simple things and kicking them up.  I never even thought about adding some pulled pork, wow, great idea.

[​IMG]

17. sqwib

Hopefully will be able to do 2 batches this weekend

1 with precooked bacon

1 with a cup of mini marshmallows.

This would be a good for breakfast with JD hot sausage, would precook the sausage to remove the grease.

18. sqwib

Awesome Johnny is that "red hot" sprinkled on top...

Hey how about a Crab mac and cheese with a bit of old bay

19. sqwib

bpopovitz have you tried heavy cream or cream cheese in this recipe, was wondering if it would make it too rich.

I always add cream cheese to my mac and cheese to make it creamier

20. jirodriguez

No... hadn't gotten the hot sauce on mine in that picture, that was actually just the browned cheese - it looked beutifull when I pulled it out of the oven!

That is what I am thinking as well, I like a real creamy texture. I was half tempted to make a roue with the butter and some flower and sprinkle that over the noodles. This will definately be a fun recipe to play with.