Nitrate free Canadian Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slideman

Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
West Virginia
Has anyone ever made Canadian Bacon using just salt in order to make it nitrate free?  I have been making it using a 4lb loin and Tender Quick, which has turned out great.  However, the little redhead would like me to try and make it with just salt.  Has anyone ever tried doing this?   Thanks----slideman

Without the nitrite for cure it would only be salt pork.

Google Search is your friend-

http://tinyurl.com/4rfuoz6

Here is the whole search-

http://tinyurl.com/4p3q4yt

This is the Alton Brown version-

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/scrap-iron-chefs-bacon-recipe/index.html

Good Luck
icon14.gif

No, it would not be salt pork. Salt pork is not smoked. Once you smoke a loin, it is Canadian Bacon, or as we call it in Canada; Back Bacon. Nitrite has nothing to do with it.

Once you smoke a pork loin ,it's smoked pork loin If you cure it and smoke it its back bacon.

No, it would not be salt pork. Salt pork is not smoked. Once you smoke a loin, it is Canadian Bacon, or as we call it in Canada; Back Bacon. Nitrite has nothing to do with it.

If there is NO CURE, it is only pork, NOT BACON... Smoked or Not...

What is Cutie's (sorry, I like redheads) problem with cure?  If it is nitrosamines can you do your Canadian bacon with just Cure 1 and not use the Tenderquick?   I would think that would address her health concerns.  Remember that is how Food Safety recommends belly bacon be done

You can cure your meat with just salt and low and slow smoke it (under 80°) for a long enough time and, from the interaction with the wood and meat it will form it's own nitrates to 'cure' it with.  But, it can be dangerous if not done correctly; that is why it is much safer to use a nitrite cure from the beginning in your brine.

You can cure your meat with just salt and low and slow smoke it (under 80°) for a long enough time and, from the interaction with the wood and meat it will form it's own nitrates to 'cure' it with.  But, it can be dangerous if not done correctly; that is why it is much safer to use a nitrite cure from the beginning in your brine.
I agree with Pops, but the salt & smoke method he mentions is above my pay grade.

Also the interaction with wood and meat that is supposed to form it's own nitrates to "cure" it with is probably not going to happen in "slideman's" (the guy who asked the question) MES 30.

Personally, If I'm going to make Canadian Bacon, I will use TQ, or I could use Cure # 1, but I would not even think about trying it with only salt. I would also not recommend curing anything without cure to anyone on this forum. Not saying people can't try it---just saying "I do not recommend it"

I look at it this way:

Smoking a loin creates "Smoked Pork"

Salting a loin creates "Salted Pork"

Salting & Smoking a loin creates "Smoked Salted Pork"

Curing & Smoking a loin creates "Canadian Bacon"

Bear

Has anyone ever made Canadian Bacon using just salt in order to make it nitrate free?  I have been making it using a 4lb loin and Tender Quick, which has turned out great.  However, the little redhead would like me to try and make it with just salt.  Has anyone ever tried doing this?   Thanks----slideman
tell the little red head that some veggies have more nitrates than your canadian bacon...............

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-making/curing/nitrates

Hey guys I really appreciate your input on this matter.  I have a 4 pounder almost ready to smoke, but I may give the salt cure a try in the near future.

Hey guys I really appreciate your input on this matter.  I have a 4 pounder almost ready to smoke, but I may give the salt cure a try in the near future.
please do not use just salt until you fully understand the full process and all of the factors needed to a successful "salt only" cure.......like pops said it can be dangerous if not done correctly.

Hey Pops, when you say it is dangersous, do you mean because it may not be able to be kept from spoiling?  If so, mabe I could slice it and keep it in the freezer until I needed a few slices.

We do not recommend cold smoking uncured bacon.  If you are going to get the meat up to temps according to the four hour rule no problem but if just salting and then cold smoking you should handle the product as a salted pork product and not as a cured green bacon.  We are concerned about the amount of time away from refrigeration in a low O2 environment.

Did you find out what her concerns where with Nitrates?   Nitrites are now recommended for bacon cures, they do not have the nitrosamine issues.

We do not recommend cold smoking uncured bacon.  If you are going to get the meat up to temps according to the four hour rule no problem but if just salting and then cold smoking you should handle the product as a salted pork product and not as a cured green bacon.  We are concerned about the amount of time away from refrigeration in a low O2 environment.

Did you find out what her concerns where with Nitrates?   Nitrites are now recommended for bacon cures, they do not have the nitrosamine issues.
What Al said.

Bear

Originally Posted by The Dude Abides  

Not sure.  But I'm seeing a lot of products that I'd normally considered cured now claiming not to have nitrites in them.

http://www.hormel.com/products/refrigerated/HormelNaturalChoiceMeats.aspx

thoughts?
Dude, Morning. Interesting article. My thoughts. I have heard scientists have disrupted the DNA chain using pressure. I believe this is done on fish eggs. When pressure is applied the egg is no longer male or female and a triploid is born.

I am recalling from memory so lets not start any 62 year old brain malfunctions here.
head-wall.gif

Back to Hormel. Is anyone familiar with this pressure process? Could the meat be "sterilized", so to speak, using this process? Are the "bugs" killed?

Very interesting subject.

I find it very scary that someone wanting to try a curing process that most highly experienced members here would not try... 

If your wife eats any bacon, cold cuts, ham, etc. from a grocery store she is consuming nitrites.

It is far safer for an inexperienced person to use tried ad true SAFE methods while they are learning.  I say this because if you were experienced enough to use the method Pops mentioned then you would not have had to ask if anyone had tried doing it. 

Please do the safe thing and stick to using either TQ or Cure #1 or Premade kits...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky