Next purchase, please HELP! Thanks y’all

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

darcylockhart

Original poster
Jan 13, 2021
Hey all, looking for some insight on my next purchase. I have totally outgrown my electric smoker. (Thanks but no thanks) I have a pellet grill, which I love and get some goooood bark at low temps. Even a smoke ring.

but I’m curious what y’all use. What’s next? Ceramic cooker like a green egg? Off set smoker like a yodder witchita? I don’t have a lot of experience with charcoal and I think that’s where I want to be.

Reactions: kruizer
I don't know if this is your objective, or goal, But years ago I started out with a cheap brinkman barrel smoker from one of the box stores that was gifted to me. It's like a $50 unit. I always tell everyone, you figure out how to turn out a good cook on one of those, then you can smoke on anything. I'm not saying it's a bad unit. I'm saying you will learn a ton with it, so when you move forward, you can smoke with about anything. You learn how to control your fire effectively you learn about drafts and vent control temps etc. There's not much it won't throw at you. I mean if your goal is to grow your skills and start with charcoal, this will do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: darcylockhart
If thinking charcoal check out the WSM's
You can always add a stick burner or
I have a Lang 84 reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet
Pit Boss Austin XL
Smokehouse
Propane grill

You could add something outdoor cooking related like these I have added to my arsenal
36" Blackstone Griddle
Cajun Fryer Deep Fryer

You could add something indoor cooking related like these I have added
Vacuum Sealer
Sous Vide Cooker
Dehydrator
Air Fryer
Commercial Slicer
Grinder
Stuffer

Does it ever end lol

I went with a LSG insulated cabinet cooker and have not regretted it. I use charcoal and wood chunks and I am very happy with the flavors it puts out. The smoke profile is stronger than my Yoder which I still use and love also.
I added a fireboard controller and pitbull fan and it is great on long cooks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky