Next Iron Chef....Charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

geek with fire

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 5, 2007
Rural out-skirts of Sedalia, MO
I was watching the Next Iron Chef on the Food Network tonight and noticed that they gave the contestants Cowboy Lump Charcoal to work with. I'm first wondering, 1.) either they have a better source of this garbage, or 2.) they were trying to screw with them. I've always found this stuff to be junk. Am I wrong?

That's all we have around here and it's a real PITA! Burns to fast, to hot for short periods, acts like fire crackers sending sparks every where and makes too much ash. Is that what you get?

Yep, that's what I get too. Not to mention that it's mostly air; which I'm sure is why it burns too fast.

On that same thought, I normally use Royal Oak (cause it aint bad, and that's what Wally World keeps stock on). However, I've noticed a change in the last few weeks. I've started getting a lot of rocks, and last week, I found some insulation in the bag. Some time ago, I saw on Naked Whiz that RO has 2 different kinds; 1 comes from South America. I'm thinkin' Wally World is starting to use this source. I've not done a good job to check the bag to make sure. I'll look on the next run.

I haven't had any trouble with Royal Oak although my last two bags where Humphreys (got it in NY at the Fair) it seems to spark and pop alot and had alot of tiny lump pieces in the briquette bag.

Our Walmart carries only Royal Oak briquettes and Kingsford Briquettes and some kind of match light stuff that probably has lighter fluid in it.

Lowes carries the Cowboy here.

The lump cowboy coal I bought from lowes looks like 1x2 charred the other brand I have bought from Meijers look like real wood. and burns fine the cowboy lump coal pop's and crackes a lot and I wont buy it again
Good Luck and Good Smoking
Redbrinkman1955
icon_razz.gif

I've found lately with RO that there are rocks in it, too. I've yet to see insulation though. I've no experience with the Cowboy brand. It looks like I won't get any either based on the comments. Thanks, folks!

I haven't experienced the Cowboy lump but have been happy with the Royal Oak I've found at the Wally World around here. The bags are the ones made in the good ole USA
PDT_Armataz_01_41.gif

I have been using Qik Boy Natural Hardwood Lump Charcoal. Seems to work pretty good. There is some popping and cracking during lighting in the chimney. It lasts for a few hours and burns down to a fine ash. Ran a 6# fatty last weekend while it was raining on 2 chimneys of lump. Bad part is that it is a seasonal item here so I had to buy 16 bags before they returned them to the warehouse until spring.

The only lump I have found is cowboy so far. I have used nothing else so have nothing to judge it against. I hear the crackling but hadn't thought much on it. If there is a lump that works better I look forward to using it.

Hmm if they REALLY wanted to mess with em, they coulda also gave 'em an ECB and a brisket LOL!

Of course, any SMF member would have been prepared with a case of refreshments, a chair, and 15 hours of quality time to spend!

Iron Chef indeed. Ptui!

Lately, all I have been able to get around here is the Cowboy brand lump... I'm not thrilled with it for all the aforementioned reasons, but it's what I can get. I'd love to find a place around here that sells the RO lump... our WalMart has nothing but briquetts.

I went through the naked whiz website http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm then selected BGE lump....supposedly pretty good stuff. They had a link to the BGE website that had a dealer locator.........I plugged in the zip from your forum profile and got this. http://www.biggreenegg.com/locator/r...imageField.y=8
2 sources you may want to check for lump. The Island Grill Store might be a good lead...........at least they should have the BGE lump if not others.

Yeah, I need a hobby. LOL Hope that helped.

Might we worth checking out the lump reviews on the nakes whiz site, find something you want to try, then contact the company on where to get it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky