Newish to smoking!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redpanda

Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Minnesota
Hey all! I recently got out of the service and was stationed in Texas and had built a very simple smoker from a metal trash can that worked ok in Texas but I've moved home to Minnesota so it's pretty impossible to use that one this time of year. I'm working on plans for a larger smoker that will be insulated enough to stay warm in this cold. I'm looking forward to the build and learning what I can on here!

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Welcome RP!

You will find plenty of friendly folks with great advice on this forum. Lt the search bar at the top of the page be your new friend.  There are over 1 million post on this forum.  And that a lot of powerful knowledge right at your finger tips. Or just ask! If you have not checked it out already, Give Jeff's 5 day ecourse a try.  It is free and full of great information to make you an even better smoker.

Again Welcome.

Brian 

Thanks for the warm welcome! One day left of the 5 day course learned quite a lot. Hopefully going today to get the start of my new smoker. Hope to make it picture worthy soon!

Welcome to SMF RP and were glad to have you aboard so join in, share your experiences, have some fun and don’t forget to post our favorite………

The Qveiw

Thank you for your service.....
42.gif

Happy smoking

Joe

Hey all! I recently got out of the service and was stationed in Texas and had built a very simple smoker from a metal trash can that worked ok in Texas but I've moved home to Minnesota so it's pretty impossible to use that one this time of year. I'm working on plans for a larger smoker that will be insulated enough to stay warm in this cold. I'm looking forward to the build and learning what I can on here!

Good luck , bro. And welcome. Look forward to seeing pix of your smoker project. There are a bunch of real knowledgable folks on here about smoker fabrication. Amazing really..

Well it only took three years to get all settled in and get a proper smoker, but it's all sorted now! I initially purchased an offset barrel smoker and realized, I'm no good at that. I still will use the grill portion for parties, but the smoking just took too much time. I wanted low, slow, and somewhat set and forget as I get started.

I picked up a Masterbuilt Pro Charcoal and Propane Smoker. Not a show stopper, but hopefully enough to get some really good smoke going. I also picked up a deep dish cast iron pan for the wood, since a lot of people seem to have trouble with the "chip tray" that comes with it igniting all the wood and being generally useless. Also ordered some Lavalock for the door as it seems like people lose a lot of smoke out of it. Seemed to ring true while I was seasoning it this afternoon.

Should have some pork roast done this weekend or flank steak, or both who knows.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky