• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Scott Anderson

Original poster
Jan 16, 2019
Hey folks I'm new to pellet grills and looking forward to the adventure. I just purchased a new Pit Boss 1100 Pro Series hoping that I don't have the temp swings I keep herring
20190116_100256.jpg
about... But anyway just wanted to say hey and happy smokin.

Reactions: Meat Fighter
Hey folks I'm new to pellet grills and looking forward to the adventure. I just purchased a new Pit Boss 1100 Pro Series hoping that I don't have the temp swings I keep herringView attachment 385646 about... But anyway just wanted to say hey and happy smokin.

Welcome to the Smokingmeatforum Scott... That PB 1100 Pro Series looks mighty nice. Make sure You register your smoker with Pit Boss to have access to your warranty and the customer service support for your grill if you ever need it. If You read and follow the owners manual instructions and don’t take short cuts with the understanding of your smoker, You shouldn’t have or see any wild temp swings with your grill. Here’s a few tips that will help you though.

1. Always preheat your grill for at least 20-30 mins at 300*-350* degrees prior to every cook.
2. Never just plug your grill in and set the temp to whatever temp and walk away... Always preheat your grill first.
3. If You haven’t already, you should invest in a shop-Vac and always clean the fire pot/burn pot after every cook.
4. Read, learn and understand the P Settings on your grill. This is so important and a must to prevent wild temp swings. P Setting P4 is factory default and is a good setting to start with. Never use P Settings P6-P7... If You do, your grill will have a greater chance of flaming out, especially during cold weather.
5. Once You’ve preheated your grill and have set your desired temp, you will see the temp go up 20-30 degrees and come back down again... This is normal, Your grill is just cycling... It’s adding more pellets to the fire pot. This will happen during the duration of your cook. Also, using a water pan will help keep your grills temps stable.
6. Always keep your Smoker clean... Oil down the Flame Broiler main Plate and Flame Broiler slider with cooking oil to prevent rust after every washing and You should use aluminum foil on them during your cooks as well. The foil will help make clean ups that much easier too.
7. Always cover your Smoker with a grill cover when your grill is not in use. Never leave your grill out in the rain. Water is a Pellet Grills worst enemy... If You can, when your grill is not being used, store it in your garage.
8. If Your not going to use your smoker for over 24 hours, get into a habit of removing the pellets from the hopper and storing them in a proper covered plastic storage container.
9. This Forum is the best place on the web to learn about Pit Boss Pellet Grills and Pellet Grills in general.. Read about all the happy PB Owners here and about the unhappy ones that didn’t or couldn’t follow simple instructions... smh... You’ll learn what not to do from other people’s mistakes. If You follow these tips, your grill will put out some fantastic bbq and you’ll be happy with your investment. Good luck and enjoy. :emoji_sunglasses:

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Thanks for the replys folks im excited we will be smokin some ribs and butts this weekend. Also thanks for the info great pointers cant wait to start rolling smoke!

Reactions: Meat Fighter
Welcome to the forum Scott, happy to have ya join the fun.

Chris

Hi Scott. I just got the same smoker and am going through the learning curve (I guess) of grilling on it. It seems to hold temp at a constant and no real fluctuations. It seems like I need to learn what temps to cook at since I seem to almost be cremating things on it but I'm curious as to how your liking yours after having it for a bit and have you had any problems with it or any suggestions for grilling or smoking on it?

Hi Scott. I just got the same smoker and am going through the learning curve (I guess) of grilling on it. It seems to hold temp at a constant and no real fluctuations. It seems like I need to learn what temps to cook at since I seem to almost be cremating things on it but I'm curious as to how your liking yours after having it for a bit and have you had any problems with it or any suggestions for grilling or smoking on it?

Welcome to SMF Lucas... I have a question for You that’ll help the readers here understand the issues you’re having a little better. What are You trying to bbq/grill and at what temperatures are you cooking at that is causing You to cremate your food?? Sometimes it’s best to keep things simple on your first few cooks until you have a better understanding of what your Smoker/grill can and can’t do and more time and practice for you cooking bbq on it.

Hi there! I basically have thrown a little bit of everything on and been trying/experimenting and using the recommended temperatures for cooking these meats in the back of the pellet grill manual. the recommended temps have said around 400 degrees. I've done chicken,steak,deer steak,pizza and mac and cheese. I managed to really burn the meats but they have been medium to almost medium rare with some of the cuts and the pizza almost burned if I hadn't been watching it super close. The mac and cheese came out decent enough along with the second round of pizzas but again,really had to watch it. This time I had it set at 350 and seemed to help. The tops of the pizzas didn't get as done as I liked because the crust was close to burning. So that's were at. Not sure if I need to be concerned with anything with the grill or newbie mistakes being made....and I am almost certain it's the latter! Just hoping to get lots of advice to help me figure things out before I start throwing more expensive meats into a possible crematorium!

Lucas welcome to SMF glad you joined us. If your trying to smoke things cut the pit temp back to about 225-250 if your trying to grill things your probably in the right range of temps for that

Hi there! I basically have thrown a little bit of everything on and been trying/experimenting and using the recommended temperatures for cooking these meats in the back of the pellet grill manual. the recommended temps have said around 400 degrees. I've done chicken,steak,deer steak,pizza and mac and cheese. I managed to really burn the meats but they have been medium to almost medium rare with some of the cuts and the pizza almost burned if I hadn't been watching it super close. The mac and cheese came out decent enough along with the second round of pizzas but again,really had to watch it. This time I had it set at 350 and seemed to help. The tops of the pizzas didn't get as done as I liked because the crust was close to burning. So that's were at. Not sure if I need to be concerned with anything with the grill or newbie mistakes being made....and I am almost certain it's the latter! Just hoping to get lots of advice to help me figure things out before I start throwing more expensive meats into a possible crematorium!

Anytime You’re bbqing something and you have your grills temp set above 300* degrees, You have to keep a constant eye on whatever you’re cooking. If You’re setting your grills temp to 400* degrees like you posted and You have the Flame Broiler Slider in the open position and your food placed in the center or near the center right where the fire pot is located, You’re going to burn up whatever it is you’re trying to cook. Even if the “Flame Broiler Slider” is in the closed position, the center of your grill is where the Fire Pot is located and the “Direct Flame” is coming from... So even though your grills temp is set at 350*-400* degrees, it’s actually much hotter right at the center. I would as Pineywoods suggested, is to back off on the high temps and try cooking the foods you’re trying to grill in the “medium temp” range like 250*-300* degrees. Take Your time and keep an eye on what you’re trying to cook. Rushing a cook and adding inexperience with your grill and at bbqing is never ever a Good Mix... I would first try to Master Low and Slow bbqing... And any meats that require direct grilling/searing, You must be their to turn the meat and eyeball the food with the grill lid open to prevent burning. For Chicken, after you’ve “preheated” Your grill properly as per the Owners Manual, then set your grill on Smoke mode and run it on Smoke mode for 20-mins to add some smoke flavor and then kick up the grills temp to 300* degrees and finish off the cook while keeping an eye on it. The same with Pizza, but set the grills temp at 350* degrees and don’t place the pizza in the center... Place it to the far right or far left in your grill and everything will turn out just right. It may require a few more minutes of cook time, but the end results will be a perfectly smoked bbq pizza. Once You’ve done it a few times and you have a better understanding of what you’re trying to do, then You can make subtle adjustments to your cook if it’s necessary. Again, with high temps bbqing/grilling, You must keep an eye on whatever it is you’re trying to cook to prevent burning up your food... and search the web for different recipes cooked on Pellet Grills for added options. Your PB Pro Series 1100 Pellet Grill can put out some great bbq... You just have to learn how to use it properly... It takes practice, time and patience... Oh and in most cases, lower temps. Good luck.

Last edited:
I tried pizza ,decided it needs a cold pizza stone to set on to get the topping done, cooking it on the top rack will probably work if you use a pan to put it on ,I normally run it on smoke if doing a steak for a short time then open the slider to char it, no need to run the temp way up to cook a lot of the times imo, the mac and cheese maybe so. It takes time to learn the personality of cookers build up to high temp cooks and watch closely ,they build temps quickly unlike a others

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky