Newbie with MES 30 First Gen

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Crater Eddie

Original poster
Jul 6, 2018
I hope I have my model ID correct. If not, sorry, description is included below.
Hello all! I have smoked a bit in a WSM 14, never in an electric. I hadn't really thought about getting an electric, but I found one on a recent trip to the dump. It was in great shape, just a bit crusty inside, which a lot of vinegar solution and elbow grease took care of. The element is ok but the controller was nowhere to be found, I assume it failed and was thrown away some time ago and they kept the smoker for a while before pitching it too. A new controller is on it's way and should arrive in about a week. The wood chip bowl is also missing. I was thinking of using an old small cast iron skillet for that. Don't worry, it's not a good skillet, one I found buried in the ground. It is far too pitted to cook in, but should work for this. I see that the original chip bowl had a lid, should I make a "lid" for the skillet with foil or something, or is that really necessary? This model smoker doesn't have the rotating chip thing that allows chips to be added without opening the door, so it also has only a very tiny went hole... I doubt there would be enough ventilation for an A-MAZE-N tray to burn properly. I thought about buying a cast iron or stainless steel chip burner at Walmart or Lowe's, but I already have the skillet, and using it would continue the "rescued" theme of the smoker. Thanks for any thoughts.
CE

Last edited:
The A-MAZE-N usually works pretty well in an electric. I would buy one and figure out how you would need to modify the box to get the air you need. Second, don't waste money on a replacement controller. Not very accurate and limited functionality. Get a PID loop controller and have all the functionality you want through your smartphone. Post some pics!!

Sounds like a MB analog electric skillet type controller with the small vent.

0707181645a.jpg

It's nothing special, as you can see. The best thing about it is that it was free. I was trying to show here that the stock thermometer is reading about 100° lower than my digital thermometer that I use in my WSM. I have a much better thermometer left over from an old project, it screwed right into the port in the door:

0707181725a.jpg

You can't see it in this image either, but this thermometer is much more accurate. Sorry, I need to work on my photography skills. I see why everybody complains about the stock controller, it is pretty fiddly. I'll most likely replace it with something better before long, might build something, as that's the kind of thing I like to do. The iron skillet was a little disappointing as a wood chip tray, I think not enough of it sits in contact with the element. I'll have to come up with something better. If I get an A-MAZE-N tray I'll have to cut bigger vents in the top and bottom, as currently each is only a half inch in diameter or so. Anyway, today was just playing around, tomorrow I'll smoke a chicken I think. Will report back.

Attachments

• 0707181725a.jpg
    0707181725a.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 4
I'll wrap this thread up by saying that I did do a couple of smokes over the weekend, a chicken and a pork loin. Both came out acceptable, but now I see why a lot of the mods are made. Thanks for your comments.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky