Newbie to smoking arena

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chefjames1960

Original poster
Apr 30, 2021
Hi everyone. I'm a 45 year professional Chef. After selling my restaurants I now do consulting. Of course over that time, I have used smokers. I taught classes on using the BGE for awhile. I have a new client who just bought a Yoder 640. I'm new to the pellet grill world and am looking forward to your advice and posts. Nice to be here!
James

Welcome indeed!
I'm more into quantity (variety) of cookers than quality so I'm a bargain hunter. Many of the pros here therefore don't like my shopping advice. :emoji_wink:
So you may want to give us a budget to work around. And if money is somewhat not a concern (and it doesn't appear to be for many who post here asking for advice) let us know that too.
The important thing is to enjoy what you have!

Pellets smoke gets thin above 225F. Low and slow is the name of the game with pellet burners most of the time. Conversely, poultry does well in pellet grills because at higher temps you don't have to worry about it getting overly smokey.

Reactions: Chefjames1960
Welcome to SMF from Houston. I'm an offset guy so I can't comment on pellet smokers. Plenty here who can though. Good luck. 👍

Reactions: Chefjames1960
Pellets smoke gets thin above 225F. Low and slow is the name of the game with pellet burners most of the time. Conversely, poultry does well in pellet grills because at higher temps you don't have to worry about it getting overly smokey.
Great advice. Thank you!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky