Newbie RF build with pics and Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sounds like a plan. My thinking is I will have the firebox level or just above axle level. Due to the fact my box is so large, I think the lower the better, so that I am not reaching over my head to put things the grill, Ha. Also I may bring the box closer to the axle than the back of trailer. Talking with Dave, he suggested I move the box into the cook chamber 1/2 to 1/3 the length of the box. He said it will burn more efficient. So with shortening my total grill length, I will need to move it closer to the axle to keep weight on the tongue.

Thanks

Bass

Jeff, evening..... Well.............what's going on with the smoker ???  We need updates......  Dave
Evening to you as well Dave. Well... Its been a slow go. I cut the RFP out that day we talked. In the process of cutting the plate out burnt a hole in the plasma cutter lead hose/line. It did not belong to me, it was a work tool. I am praying we can fix it so I don't have to buy a replacement, got a quote of $250+. It kinda let the wind out of my sail. I have worked on and off since. I am in the process of cutting my door into doors. I made 2 cuts today, they left a 2" strip in the middle. I plan to make it where I can open one small door or open the whole opening. I am not sure that make sense, but the 2" will have its own hinge. In my mind I think it will work but that may not coincide with reality, but we shall see. I have welded the plate somewhat back in place, i cut 9" off the plate on the FB side, due the fact we decided to move the FB into the cook chamber that far. There is a lot more to do that I first imagined but I enjoy it. The main issues are having to ask people for help or borrow equipment. I tend to break more than Id like. I guess that's why I became a FF, we get paid to break stuff. I did do a small cook at church the other weekend, 4 Boston butts, 4 whole chickens, a brisket, and about 10 racks of st. Louis ribs. I will post a few pics if i can. Well that's about it for now...

I cooked on the Lang the other sunday for church and it turned out great! Heres a few pics, I'll be ready when my grill is done.

Jeff, You can cook on a Lang.... Nice looking grub.....   Now you will have to learn to cook on your new smoker.....    Dave

Thank you for what you do as a Fire Fighter!

How are things coming along with the build? Learned a lot things I can use towards mine.

Hoping to get it blasted and painted here in the next week or so. Like I said I am not sure what I need on here. I want to cook competitively. So again please give advice, those who cook at competitions, what do I need on here. What would you have have done different on your build. Pictures would be great. If you have a rig set up just like you like send me a pic. I think I still have a lot to do but I am able to cook. I just don't want any regrets or after thoughts, that could have been alleviated.

Well.....  Jeff....... I thought you dropped off the face of the earth.....  Still alive I see.... Smoker looks good.... Congrats....

I don't know squat about comp cooking so I'm gone...........      

Dave

Great looking build you have going. I do not compete yet, but have been working through my head on my set up I will do. I have done a lot of off site catering over the years and I am drawing a lot on that. Based on your trailer sitting between 2 firetrucks is where this comes from. Everything on the truck has its place and why it is there. All of the controls are located in one spot. All of the storage is put where it is convenient, yet makes since on its use........ If you look at what you are wanting to do with your trailer, things will start to fall into place. Break the trailer down into zones and what uses it will be needed for and how much access you will need and how often. I have broken mine into 4 areas cook, storage, fire maintenance and trailer maintenance/set up..... 

OK, if you look at your trailer. The trailer hitch is 12 o'clock. If you run a line between the wood and cook chamber to 6 o'clock. Your fire box is at 5-6, the tank is 3-5 and the wood is 6-9...... In my eyes your prep/cook zone is from 12-6. So everything in that area is designated for that. Things you may want to think about for that area are hand sink, propane burners, prep table and other things like that. Now for the other side. Where you have the wood down in the area of 6-7ish set that for your wood/charcoal, then the rest of that area for cooler storage. From 9-12 set that for a water tank for the sink, propane tanks for the burners and even an equipment box for tools for minor repairs, site set up and so on........

I have talked with a several people who compete and they all say basically the same thing. You need to be as self sufficient as possible. You are not always guaranteed to access to things like water and power. So a couple will even bring a generator with them. For the water part I am looking at what is used on boats for the system and for the grey water I am going to set up large PVC pipe under my rig for the water to drain into. I am using a boat trailer so I have a "V" in the frame that it will sit perfectly into.... They were split on having the prep table attached to the trailer. Personally I am not going to. I feel it will give me more flexibility on setup. They all were in agreement on the hand sink and even suggested if possible to have hot water as well. Not sure on that one yet... Split on the burners mounted to the trailer. I am going to at this time, but have changed my design a 1000 times in my head....

Hope this helps....

Jeramy

Ole JarJar has it worked out pretty well there.  I would have to agree with just about all he said.  It looks good and hope to see it up and running soon.  Good luck, brother.  Can't wait for that sweet Q view.

Last edited:
The build is looking good.  Man your getting close, I know it seems like you have a lot left to do, but your getting close.  Make sure, as I am sure have already thought about, make the tail end of the decked area your wood / charcoal storage area.  It is really nice to have all my wood and fire building supplies (charcoal chimney, fire poker, charcoal, wood splits, etc.) right there.

My wood box is 18" tall x 22" wide x 48" long.  Plenty of room for a 16-24 hour cook.  Plus you have got quite a bit of room up on the V section of your trailer for propane tanks, burners, sinks and just about anything else you can think of.  One of my latest additions has worked really well, the tongue box.  I keep all my extension cords, a small tool box with a few tools that might and have come in handy, spare parts for my sink and water tanks, grill brushes, tie downs, my 12 volt power supply, lights, tarps, you name it, it's shoved in there. 

$100 at Tractor Supply.  Deep, wide and weatherproof.  One of my last additions to my rig was also additional countertop space, I am much happier now cooking than I was before.  I added some space next to the cook chamber so I can pull meat out and throw it on a cutting board right there, works great.  Countertop space at a comp is critical.  Quite a few cook teams will bring 2 to 3 tables, I bring one, 30" x 60" table, although even with my additional space I could use 1 more small table.  I have considered making a lid /countertop for my wood storage area.  This would give me way more space on my sink side of the setup, especially when prepping meat, plus give some weather protection for my wood and charcoal on the wasy to comps or just while it's sitting in the yard.

Hope some of this will spark some ideas for you and keep up the great build. 

Last edited:
I couldnt have asked for better advice. I am going to take all these helpful hints and hopefully build a great rig.

Thanks

Bass

Thanks, I hope to get her painted Friday. I think even as it sits I am able to cook and need to get back at it so I can get those creative juices flowing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky