Newbie QVIEW - Lots of pics - First time smoking BB & Spare

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

m1tanker78

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
South Texas
Hello all, I joined the forum yesterday and promised a QVIEW. After much fighting with the photo hosting website, I think I finally figured it out.

To be smoked was:
1 rack of babyback ribs
1 rack of spare ribs
Some sweet yellow corn on the cob (husks not removed)
2 pounds of dry pinto beans

Unfortunately, it was late at night when I bought the ribs so I had to settle for WalMart (Tyson) ribs. The next morning, I rinsed and pat dried the ribs and and drizzled a small amount of olive oil on them and rubbed it in. I next applied a very very small amount of oregano, some salt, pepper, very little cayenne pepper, very little brown sugar and let them sit while I fired up the smoker.
So goes the progression...........

img1919hz5.jpg
[/IMG]

While the ribs were sitting and the heat was getting going I had the pinto beans soaking in water so they could be rinsed. I rinsed the beans and preped them for the smoker. After that, the smoker was ready to accept the ribs and pot of beans. What you see in front of the pot is a can of beefaroni
icon_smile.gif

img1923ng0.jpg
[/IMG]

img1929xb8.jpg
[/IMG]

Here's a shot of the ribs after about 2 hours........

img1932qv9.jpg
[/IMG]

At about the 2 hour mark, I threw in some more charcoal and mesquite wood chunks. By this time, the beer in my ice chest was ice cold and i tore into a few of them after I got done with my beefaroni. Hehehe

At around 4 hours, I added some more briquettes and mesquite wood chunks. The beans were fully cooked at this point so I added about half a cup of bbq sauce, half a cup of brown sugar, salt, pepper, and a little bit of molasses. I threw the corn cobs in the smoker and let the beans simmer for the remainder of the smoke. I basted the ribs a total of 3 times in 30 minute intervals with plain old Kraft bbq sauce. the bastings came at about 4, 4.5, and 5 hours into the smoke.

After 5.5 hours at about 225 degrees, everything was ready to come off the smoker. The beans were nice and thick (and flavorful), the corn husks were falling off the cobs, and the ribs had a deliciously beautiful crust on them. Behold.......

img1942fk6.jpg
[/IMG]

img1938vz4.jpg
[/IMG]

img1937sn3.jpg
[/IMG]

img1940hx5.jpg
[/IMG]

Stay tuned... More to come!

-=Continuation=-

The anticipation was intense and the house filled with that coveted "food's ready" smell.

Spares.....

img1947ts3.jpg
[/IMG]

Baby Backs......

img1945vy3.jpg
[/IMG]

img1946px0.jpg
[/IMG]

A close-up of the smoke ring.....

img1949os3.jpg
[/IMG]

That's all folks! Sorry about the long post and all the pics. I hope y'all enjoyed the QVIEW.

Tom

Super job, and thanks for qviewing us.

Just joined and posted those pics?

POINTS COMMING YOUR WAY!!!!

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Thanks Solar, actually this was my first pork rib smoke. I've done beef finger ribs a couple of times but never pork. I applied everything I know about smoking chicken to make these ribs and they exceeded my expectations. Heck, I'd never even made beans before this! I just saw your qview and those BB's look really good. I might try foiling 'em next time during the last hour or two to see how they come out. Anyway, thanks again for the compliments.

Tom

Great job on the followup pics of the Q and smoke. Thanks my friend.

Those cannot be your first ribs! Very nice job either way. So which did ya like the best, spares or BB's?
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the compliment Capt Dan. Those were honestly my first pork ribs. I'd made beef ribs a couple time prior but never pork. To answer your question, I liked the babybacks a little better than the spares. I think my lack of knowledge on cutting the spares plays a role.

Tom

Thanks Richtee......lol I've heard that pork readily forms a smoke ring but DAMN! I almost had to check to see if it was a smoke ring or if it was raw...LOL Thanks again

Tom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky