Newbie QVIEW - Lots of pics - First time smoking BB & Spare

Discussion in 'Pork' started by m1tanker78, Sep 14, 2008.

1. m1tanker78

m1tanker78 Meat Mopper

Hello all, I joined the forum yesterday and promised a QVIEW. After much fighting with the photo hosting website, I think I finally figured it out.

To be smoked was:
    1 rack of babyback ribs
    1 rack of spare ribs
    Some sweet yellow corn on the cob (husks not removed)
    2 pounds of dry pinto beans

Unfortunately, it was late at night when I bought the ribs so I had to settle for WalMart (Tyson) ribs. The next morning, I rinsed and pat dried the ribs and and drizzled a small amount of olive oil on them and rubbed it in. I next applied a very very small amount of oregano, some salt, pepper, very little cayenne pepper, very little brown sugar and let them sit while I fired up the smoker.
    So goes the progression...........

[​IMG][/IMG]

While the ribs were sitting and the heat was getting going I had the pinto beans soaking in water so they could be rinsed. I rinsed the beans and preped them for the smoker. After that, the smoker was ready to accept the ribs and pot of beans. What you see in front of the pot is a can of beefaroni [​IMG] .......

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Here's a shot of the ribs after about 2 hours........

[​IMG][/IMG]

At about the 2 hour mark, I threw in some more charcoal and mesquite wood chunks. By this time, the beer in my ice chest was ice cold and i tore into a few of them after I got done with my beefaroni. Hehehe

At around 4 hours, I added some more briquettes and mesquite wood chunks. The beans were fully cooked at this point so I added about half a cup of bbq sauce, half a cup of brown sugar, salt, pepper, and a little bit of molasses. I threw the corn cobs in the smoker and let the beans simmer for the remainder of the smoke. I basted the ribs a total of 3 times in 30 minute intervals with plain old Kraft bbq sauce. the bastings came at about 4, 4.5, and 5 hours into the smoke.

After 5.5 hours at about 225 degrees, everything was ready to come off the smoker. The beans were nice and thick (and flavorful), the corn husks were falling off the cobs, and the ribs had a deliciously beautiful crust on them. Behold.......

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Stay tuned... More to come!

2. m1tanker78

m1tanker78 Meat Mopper

-=Continuation=-

The anticipation was intense and the house filled with that coveted "food's ready" smell.

Spares.....

[​IMG][/IMG]

Baby Backs......

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

A close-up of the smoke ring.....

[​IMG][/IMG]

That's all folks! Sorry about the long post and all the pics. I hope y'all enjoyed the QVIEW.

Tom

3. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Super job, and thanks for qviewing us.

Just joined and posted those pics?

POINTS COMMING YOUR WAY!!!!

4. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very nice Job. Looks like a feast.[​IMG]

5. solar

solar Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Great looking ribs!! You might be new to SMF but it looks like you're not new to smoking ribs, good job.

6. m1tanker78

m1tanker78 Meat Mopper

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Thanks Solar, actually this was my first pork rib smoke. I've done beef finger ribs a couple of times but never pork. I applied everything I know about smoking chicken to make these ribs and they exceeded my expectations. Heck, I'd never even made beans before this! I just saw your qview and those BB's look really good. I might try foiling 'em next time during the last hour or two to see how they come out. Anyway, thanks again for the compliments.

Tom

7. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great job on the followup pics of the Q and smoke. Thanks my friend.

8. guvna

guvna Smoking Fanatic

You've Made A Grand Entrance Indeed... Bravo, And Thanks For The View!

9. ohm

ohm StickBurners SMF Premier Member

Looks great thanks for the view and welcome to SMF.

10. 1894

1894 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Dang fine first qview , wish my first ribs looked that good [​IMG][​IMG]

11. davenh

davenh Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Great job [​IMG].

12. div

div Smoking Fanatic

Had some smilar lookin ribs last night, looks great.

13. daboys

daboys Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very nice ribs tanker. Looks an excellent meal with the beans and corn.

14. ezmoney

ezmoney Meat Mopper

GA
    What a grand entrance....excellent ribs!! [​IMG]

15. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks really good,Q-view great(I'm jealous, haven't gotten the view thing down yet-I'm very computer illiterate). Anyhow, a big welcome to the crew.[​IMG]

16. capt dan

capt dan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Those cannot be your first ribs! Very nice job either way. So which did ya like the best, spares or BB's?[​IMG]

17. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Damm near cured 'em with that ring! Nice smoke man..and welcome to SMF!

18. m1tanker78

m1tanker78 Meat Mopper

Thanks for the compliment Capt Dan. Those were honestly my first pork ribs. I'd made beef ribs a couple time prior but never pork. To answer your question, I liked the babybacks a little better than the spares. I think my lack of knowledge on cutting the spares plays a role.

Tom

19. m1tanker78

m1tanker78 Meat Mopper

Thanks Richtee......lol I've heard that pork readily forms a smoke ring but DAMN! I almost had to check to see if it was a smoke ring or if it was raw...LOL Thanks again

Tom

20. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Ahhh yes... the dreaded St. Looie cut. It's easy. Hmm there's a post on it here recently... help SMF'ers!