Newbie Pondering Fridge Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stevewky

Original poster
Aug 20, 2005
As a newbie to smoking, I have been reading and pondering building a smoker from an old fridge -- we actually have a "real" smokehouse built by the previous owner of our small farm. However, until I get more experience, I want tighter control over heat, humidity, etc. before moving up to the smoke house.

One question I have not seen addressed in any discussions of using an old fridge is: most of the old fridges with metal interiors are gone. What about those with plastic interiors? Can they handle the 160-180 (or higher) degree temps that I've seen recommended in some recipes?

FYI, here is a site that discusses building a fridge smoker:

http://www.askthemeatman.com/how_to_...dated_9300.htm

Hey Steve,I don't think it would be a good idea to leave the plastic innards in the fridge.They may not melt but I would be afraid the heat might cause the plastic to give off an ordor or even toxic fumes.I ripped out all the plastic in mine and replaced it with thin sheet metal.The cost is worth the piece of mind especially if you can get it cheap or free.Good luck,David

The smoking in a frig with plastic (any plastic) is a bad idea. Even if it does not totaly melt it does let off flavors in the meat.

You need a really old frig most of which are still in operation. These ole girls just do not stop working.

Most of the time if you find one the owner is more than happy to give it to you seeing that getting rid of it is next to impossible.

Most dumps require that the freon be removed and the HVAC contractors charge for that.

I would suggest you speak to a HVAC guy or the guy at the dump and see if they can make a connection for you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky