Newbie: Just ordered my first smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've found the temps all over the place too, so I go right in the middle.... 150-157+/-. Too low of a temp and the meat is not fully cooked, too high and the fat starts rendering out and leaves globules along the casing. The ice bath is essential to stop the cooking process (down to 100* I.T.) and to keep the sticks from shriveling, kinda like a hot dog you pull off the grill and leave sit. Check out the food safety section of the forum...lots of good info on cooking temps with much better explanations than I could ever give....

Reactions: hangmanli
It’s been awhile but if I remember right I take mine to 152. If it goes over a couple of degrees ur fine. I’m going to start on some deer sausage this weekend since I will be off all next week I’ll have time for the first time in over a year hope to make about a 100lbs over the next week

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky