Newbie intro

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dzldawg

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 5, 2016
Clinton, TN
I am a new member here and wanted to introduce myself. My wonderful wife bought me a smoker for my birthday last month. She's the best. It is a master built pro dual fuel. I have smoked a couple racks of ribs last weeken and I am smoking a couple more racks now and a small butt. I know I am going to have lots of questions and I am just trying to take in all the knowledge here in the forums!

Here's what I've got going today! I realized that I should have my ribs above the shoulder after reading the forums!

Here's what I've got going today! I realized that I should have my ribs above the shoulder after reading the forums!
Everything looks good to me.

I would have done just like you did, put the ribs under the shoulder.

The shoulder fat will drip on the ribs & make them sooo delicious!

Keep us informed.

Al

I forgot to add I am using some applewood for today. I foil wrapped my ribs and changed the placement of every thing with ribs on top now that they are covered. IT was at 141 so still a little ways to go! I have used the cast iron skillet mod I read on here and it is much better than the pan that comes with the smoker.

Everything looks good to me.

I would have done just like you did, put the ribs under the shoulder.

The shoulder fat will drip on the ribs & make them sooo delicious!

Keep us informed.

Al
I was thinking the same thing but read others who said the opposite, but that's what I love about this, everyone finds their own way in the end!!! Thanks

I've got a question about saucing ribs, should it be done in the last 30 minutes or just before eating? I like them with or without, just curious for others!

Welcome to the forum. Generally I would sauce them about 20 min before taking them off the grill just to set the sauce - 10 min per side. But I also don't put a lot of sauce on the ribs either

Last edited:
Well, the stall has begun, been siting at 155-156 IT for the last two hours, just gonna ride it out and see what happens! Any suggestions?

Well, the stall has begun, been siting at 155-156 IT for the last two hours, just gonna ride it out and see what happens! Any suggestions?
Patience!  Pork is done when it's done.  You gonna wrap it?  If so, wrap it around 165 IT with a little liquid like apple juice and ride it out.  Happy smoking!

Mike

Well, the butt finally reach up to 195 IT AROUND 2:00 A.M. this morning, I got impatient and took it off before it got to 205 IT. I know I should have waited and when I went to pull it apart, I see why. It was still a little too tough to "pull" apart easily. I did learn from the experience though! Preparation is key and make sure you give yourself plenty of time!!! After more research on the forums I now know what to look for when selecting my meat and I will be ditching the stock thermometer for a better digital one. Also will be doing the needle valve mod to better regulate temp. Thanks for all your help and helpful advice!!

Reactions: mike5051
Butts don't care what time it is!
icon_lol.gif
  Did you wrap it and rest it after taking it off?  I know it was late, but resting for at last an hour helps the moisture get back in the but and tenderize it too!  Points for hanging in there.

Mike 

Butts don't care what time it is!:icon_lol:   Did you wrap it and rest it after taking it off?  I know it was late, but resting for at last an hour helps the moisture get back in the but and tenderize it too!  Points for hanging in there.

Mike 
I didn't wrap it because I wanted a good bark, but I think I read a way to get around that by wrapping and letting it get up to temp and then unwrapping and cooling down to around 190 IT and then putting back in to crust up the bark again. But I think I will definitely be wrapping next time bark or no bark! Thanks!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky