newbie here with some questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wilytangs

Original poster
Apr 15, 2021
hey guys, im brand new when it comes to smoking meat. i just purchased a mini chief and am unsure how long to smoke some ground moose meat, using backwoods original jerky seasoning, and using the lem jerky gun.. if it matters i plan to do 6lb right now.. any tips are welcomed. right now im mostly looking for smoking time! thanks.

Reactions: JLeonard
I don't have experience smoking ground meat or any game meat so I won't be much help with a recipe, however one thing you will want to pay close attention to with ground meat is food safety.

If you haven't yet, you should read this thread as a general primer on safe smoking time and temperatures.

EDIT: Welcome from Central Florida.

I just read the specs on that smoker. It's rated at 250 W with a Max temperature of 165 deg. Dont expect too much out of it. Good Luck and have patients!

I just read the specs on that smoker. It's rated at 250 W with a Max temperature of 165 deg. Dont expect too much out of it. Good Luck and have patients!
yeah i got it for under $100 so i figured i would give it a shot. if its something i enjoy ill definitely upgrade!

Welcome to SMF. Jim is on the right track. If your "mix" has cure (sodium nitrite) you have some more work time with the product outside of a refrigerator temps. I have never done ground jerky, I slice London broil or top round. I dry/cook mine for 5-6 hours. Slowly ramping up temp to finish at 155-165F for last hour. There will opinions on how long or how high. Main thing is not to get temp too high and melt/render fat. I put mine on with not smoke @ 120F, 1hour. Then I add smoke and move temp up by 10F each hour. I like mine a little moist and not too dry.

You may want to add some fat if the moose is really lean. I use pork belly for that purpose. You may want to use some grill mats or aluminum foil yo make it easier to handle.

Good luck post some pictures!

RG

Reactions: wilytangs
hey guys, im brand new when it comes to smoking meat. i just purchased a mini chief and am unsure how long to smoke some ground moose meat, using backwoods original jerky seasoning, and using the lem jerky gun.. if it matters i plan to do 6lb right now.. any tips are welcomed. right now im mostly looking for smoking time! thanks.

Welcome to the Forum. Here is a link to a similar recipe from Smoke House Products that might be helpful. Remember all of the "chef" units - Big, Little, Mini, all have a max temp of 165 deg F.

As smokerjim asked, this recipe does use the "smokehouse salt" product which is like the Cure#1 only with additional salt.

I've attached a copy of the instruction book I have for my Little Chef smoker that might be of help.

https://www.smokehouseproducts.com/blogs/recipes/wild-game-pepperoni-sticks.

Keep us posted on your outcome. 🍻

John

Attachments

• Little Chef Smoker Recipe Book.pdf
    232.8 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: wilytangs
I do a lot of ground meat jerky and I set my temp at 150f , 5 lbs will be about 7 hrs. It's really going to depend on what texture you prefer. I've been as long as 10 hrs and short as 6hrs. 7 seems to be my favorite.

Corey

I do a lot of ground meat jerky and I set my temp at 150f , 5 lbs will be about 7 hrs. It's really going to depend on what texture you prefer. I've been as long as 10 hrs and short as 6hrs. 7 seems to be my favorite.

Corey
thanks very much for the info!

Welcome to smf. I don’t make jerky in smoker but I’m thinking u don’t want to run smoke the whole time. A lot of surface area on the thin jerky. Also take notes so u can duplicate or make changes to your satisfaction.

20496355-4A34-48B6-BA0F-32DDF831F649.jpeg
08F15CCC-61E7-4B15-912F-B29E10F8B8FF.jpeg
D63FC02C-643C-4CE0-B836-04112E34AA4F.jpeg
41E9330C-77DC-48AF-A091-829255B6F204.jpeg
making some progress today, wish me luck

Attachments

• 56F4A83B-E4CB-4729-915C-934BA492DD19.jpeg
    56F4A83B-E4CB-4729-915C-934BA492DD19.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: smokerjim
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky