Newbie help, smoke food and other advice appreciated

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Billy29754

Original poster
Apr 14, 2019
To start out with I haven’t bought a Dutch I’ve yet I’m looking at the Lodge 5qt cast iron Dutch oven where the lid can be used as a skillet. The option to go from stove, oven, to outside grill caught my interest. Especially for summer use as it gets hot in my house and the ability to have more versatility in outdoor cooking sounds good.

Anyway onto some questions I have.

1) Using it as an indoor smoker I saw was a cool option, any idea how much smoke it will release? I have no overhead ventilation, just a window 6ft away I can put a fan in so I’m wondering if this is viable.
2) Any tips/tricks on this and where to find more info is appreciated for indoor smoking.
3) I hear varying things about the use of soap, I can’t get past the idea of not using it to clean afterwards with a scrub brush. Any advice if I do or just have at it and enjoy.
4) I am a lazy cook (not a very good one at that) so any tips and tricks in general to help would be appreciated would be appreciated, I want to try to step my game up. Or where I should start looking.
5) Me and the misuses are probably going to move within a year or two and so far for cookware we have my George Forman (adjustable temp, additional plates), rice cooker and an iron skillet that we own ourselves that will be coming with us. I’ve seen people use these for normal Dutch oven uses, indoor smoker, slow cooker, deep fryer, and the one I’m looking at the lid doubles as a skillet. Are there any other uses for these, they seem to be very versatile tools, this way I can slim down cookware we need to buy. Any advice on additional multipurpose cookware is appreciated too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky