Newbie from Michigan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

white cloud

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 27, 2007
Riley Center MI
Hi,
My name is Lee, I wish I would of found this site a few weeks ago before I just purchased my latest smoker. You see I was used to the so- called ECB (charcoal) for along time and was great at smoking salmon and lake trout. Then about ten years ago moved out on ten acres and the old ECB sat behind the pole barn until I tossed it a year ago. Well I wanted to get back into again and debated over either a propane or electric, with front loading, and came across this electric smoker at meyers it's called a Smoke Hollow/insulated, 3 racks, a water pan and a nice looking temperature guage. A couple of days ago I was getting ready to smoke a bunch of chicken legs but it just seemed to take a long time to get some smoke started, the temp. was at about 225. I guess what I am getting at is there are no dampers except for a small vent tube on the upper back side of it, and the door is is magnetic and isn't a real tight seal but I think I should drill a hole on the chip box side and and maybe run a tube over to it so it sits over the top of it and add a damper on the top of the whole unit. WHAT MODS DO ANY OF YOU FOLKS DO TO AN ELECTRIC SMOKER?

THANKS LEE (WHITE CLOUD)

Hello Lee and Welcome!

I use and ECB so I don't know about the mods your looking for but someone should be around shortly to help.

Have you signed up for Jeffs free eCourse? Lots of great information to ge you started or help to improve your leve of expertise.

There is more information available on this site then you may ever need but with all the friendly people here helping eachother out we've about got it all covered - so have a seat and look around!

icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome to thE SMF White Cloud, I'm just down the road from you in GR.

Great folks here that will help to try to get your smoker working better for you, jump right in.

Glad you found us.
smile.gif

welcome welcome

here is whitecloud's smoker... i was looking at that one at Meijer the other day as well...i didnt care for the magnetic seal either(think fridge seal peeps)...

if you want to mod the handle cheaply just put a gate latch or a cabinet latch, put it in close to where the original handle is...there sealed

30166E.jpg

Wow! what a great bunch of people this is going to be fun. Also thanks for your input, and no I dont live in white cloud ( well sometimes on a cloud ) I was just trying to think of a name that was associated with smoking. I live in the thumb west of port huron. I just want to get some practice in for the easter turkey.

i just went and looked at your smoker tonight at Meijer... pretty nice electric and its insulated... the only mod i would do is like what i posted b4

Lol, sorry about that White Cloud, I just figured when I saw you were from michigan
icon_rolleyes.gif
Still Happy you found us!!!!

Hey Lee,
How heavy is your wood box? I have a King Kooker propane that I'm trying to get used to, I've only used it twice. The first time I used it I was making jerky and with the lower temps I couldn't get a good smoke going. Now my wood box sits right over top of the flame. I think my problem is that my wood box is like heavy cast iron. I'm tellin you it weighs like 10 pounds. I think it just takes too long for the wood box to get up to temp. I'm think of trying something a little thinner so it heats up faster.

If you think your ECB was old, check out peculiarmike's avatar.

Welcome aboard!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky