Newbie from Long Island

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeydabear

Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Massapequa NY
Hey everyone. This is Chris aka smokeydabear from long island ny. Got a smoker for my birthday and thought I would break it in on father's day. The smoker is a master forge cylinder from lowes. When I googled smoking meats this site came up and I read the threads and there seemed like good advice from everyone. Any ideas on what to smoke first? Looking for something easy to get my feet wet (or smoked).

Welcome to the forums, Chris!  Glad you've joined us.  You've found a great place to learn and share ideas on our favorite pastimes...grilling, smoking, and curing great food!  There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who really enjoy helping one another.  Good luck with that build project, and just ask any time you need help and you'll get plenty!

Red

welcome1.gif
to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us! Would you mind updating your profile to show the other SMF members where you are located?  You might meet some new neighbors!

Jeff offers a free 5 day E-Course.  It's packed with great information to use...no matter what your experience level might be!  http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-basics-ecourse

If you didn't read the "Terms of Service" notes.....please do.  There are a few things that everyone should know about those pesky little rules before plunging into the forums. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/terms-of-service

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

Hey smokey welcome to SMF, I have learned a ton since I joined and learn something new all the time. I live in Smithtown, what part of the Island are you from. Smoking meat is awesome, the flavors are just incredible. As the others said you can't go wrong with a nice piece of pork. A pork but is very forgiving if you have the time. You could also do some baby back ribs using the 2-2-1 method just do a search for it. Enjoy your new smoker just remember to be patient it will be done when it's done and enjoy a few cold ones while you wait.

Onewondershow I'm in Massapequa. I will definitely have some cold ones during the process. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Since I will be doing my first smoke attempt is it a good idea to have a test run to break in the smoker before adding the meat?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky