Newbie... first turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kat

Original poster
Nov 9, 2017
i had my 16 lb bird in pops brine for 2.5 days.

My propane master built is maxing out at 250-255 f.

I spatchcocked the bird.

How long do you think it will take? Also do i have to worry about hitting a temp by hr 4, since i used pops brine??

Thanks!!

Happy thanksgiving!!!

2.5 days may have been a bit much. I usually brine a 15 lb bird for 8-12 hrs, apply rub, then rest overnight. Make sure you are using internal thermometers if possible or checking temps every 2 hours. Check the breast and the leg. Spatchcocking may speed up cook time but every cooker is different. I have to beer can with my mini and it cooks in 3-4 hours even at 200-225 depending on ambient temps but a horizontal cooker I used to have ran 8-9 hours at the same temps.

Reactions: Kat
I'm not sure on the hitting 140 by the 4 hour mark with being brined, but being spatchcocked I don't think you'll have a problem getting there. If you don't know if you'll make it just smoke it for 3 hours then finish it in the oven, unless someone else chimes in and says it's ok.

Pops brine is a curing brine not a flavor brine. Your 2.5 days is fine. The 140 in 4 hours doesn't apply since its cured.

If I had to guess on cook time, which I do. I would say 2-3 hours cook time.

Meat was amazing!

Skin, not so much. Thanks for the help guys!! Its much appreciated.

It sounds like i need to get the temp up to 325 in order to get good skin, right?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky