Newbie , down but not out!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wirenutt

Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Valley Grande, Alabama
Hello everyone!!
well, I have to tell you all that this is an awesome site...the knowledge here is unlimited. I recently purchased a smoke hollow gas smoker on impulse. Had been researching how to use smoker properly online when i ran across your site!! Lurked for several days then decided to become a member. Had my first smoke this a.m., was very excited until i found out that my door thermometer was reading way too low...so you guessed it, tough, dry ribs!!!! how can i check/replace the one that came on the unit, as it is obviously defective......thermo maintained 225* but after 3hours, internal temp of ribs was around 200*
PDT_Armataz_01_09.gif
any one else having /or have heard of any problems with smoke hollow units maintaining a low cooking temp.???

Thanks for the help!
Blake

Welcome to the SMF!!! You'll find lots of friendly folks here to help ya and to share smokin experiences with!! Check out the 5 day ecourse- its full of great info and its free!!

If it was me..... i would leave the stock one in the hole.... get a good digital dual probe.... (one for the smoker temp... one for the meat temp)

and a few spares for the multiple meat smokes

see signature... i like the ET73- has a few set backs but mine has performed well....

the Oregon scientific was a gift.... and a great one!!

Thanks for the welcome!
Are those digital thermos the same type that you would use to check meat temps, or are they made with a different type of probe...i already have a digital probe with a steel wire leadon the probe ,can i use this?, if so, where would i place the probe for an accurate read. sorry i have so many dumb questions. thanks for the help

Blake

wirenutt
Welcome to SMF and glad you joined us !!!
Very few smokers come with and accurate thermometer. Best way to check a thermometer is if it reads 212º when water starts to boil. With the digital thermometers with the wire lead just poke the probe through potato and find a spot on a shelf to see what temp your smoker is at, making sure and not let the probe contact metal in the smoker.

Welcome to the SMF. Remember the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Lots of good folks here and someone will always have your answer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky