Newbie- curing ham & bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have no doubt that the celery powder brings in a positive note to the overall flavor profile, I guess my beef is more that they advertise it as "uncured" when, in fact, it is cured. Just with nitrite from a source other than cure#1.
The loophole here is that the USDA/FSIS recognize curing as only when sodium nitrite or sodium nitrate are added specifically, these companies making and selling “uncured” products are actually required by USDA to label their products this way because nitrite or nitrate is not an ingredient in celery or beet powder, this is just considered a “spice” by USDA not a curing agent.

Reactions: DougE
More mild in flavor. You can definitely taste the celery note with both seeds and celery salt, the powder just brings a pleasant balance to the overall savory flavor. It’s very hard to explain or nail down, but you can taste a difference and it tastes like it belongs there, but no flavor in your face. That said, the bacon I have eaten with CJP was commercial so I’m sure was cured with pumped solution, I’m not sure how it would be with my usual dry rub method, but @smokin peachey was the first to tell me about CJP, I believe, and he swore it was more delicious than regular cure #1, and I agree with him from what I’ve tried.

I can say I personally had peacheys bacon cooked by him and it was fantastic. He can't use #1 cure because of his wife's allergies.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Perhaps his wife is one of the ones mentioned earlier that can eat cured meat that the nitrite has been depleted from, and maybe nitrite from celery powder gets depleted faster. I don't have all the answers, but I'd be hesitant to suggest that curing with celery powder is a safe alternative for people who need to avoid nitrates/nitrites.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I can say I personally had peacheys bacon cooked by him and it was fantastic. He can't use #1 cure because of his wife's allergies.
Yes exactly what he told me as to why he uses CJP. It is very good, but would cost me about $24.00 to cure one whole fresh side belly. Ouch.

Perhaps his wife is one of the ones mentioned earlier that can eat cured meat that the nitrite has been depleted from, and maybe nitrite from celery powder gets depleted faster. I don't have all the answers, but I'd be hesitant to suggest that curing with celery powder is a safe alternative for people who need to avoid nitrates/nitrites.
I agree. Nitrite is nitrite. Scientifically there is no difference from the synthetic sodium nitrite and nitrite produced from plants. In plant form it is nitrate (No3) but as I understand the process they ferment the celery which in bacterial action converts nitrate (No3) to nitrite (NO2) then extract the juice and dry that for powder, then test it in a lab for nitrite concentration so they can list that concentration on the package. Scientifically there is no difference in the source of either NO2 or NO3 at least not from an element form.

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky