Newbie Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maloff28

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Orlando, Florida
I know i shouldn't be attempting this with my 3rd smoke...  but i am stubborn.

Started the brisket at 4.30 am in my MES 40 at 225.  7.5 hours in to the smoke and the meet is already at 180.  Have a second thermometer in the unit and the temp on the panel is off by 5-10 degrees.

Any suggestions?  It is definitely not tender.  Thermometer did not go in easy so i know it is not tender, but jetf says to smoke to a temp of 190.  Suggestions??

Foil it, put some beer in with it (only about 8 ounces). Heat the beer to at least 180˚ in the nuke first.

Put it back in---Remove when internal hits 195˚/200˚ for slicing, or 210˚ for pulling.

Keep your temp right where it is.

Enjoy,

Bear

Check different spots on this brisket...and go by the lowest temp. I would foil with a bit of beer and take it to 200*...then leave it rest for a hour or two wrapped in towels and put in a cooler.

Last edited:
I had put it in a foil pan after 6 hours so It should be ok.  I'll be sure to run some foil all the way around it just to be extra safe.  Thank you for all the help.

I am really enjoying this smoking thing.  Think i am getting addicted.  Couldn't do it without folks like  you though.  Thanks again.

Thanks gotarace.  In the cooler still in the beer & juice or just the meat wrapped in foil?
Leave it foiled in the juice, When the internal temp reaches 200º wrap it in towels and let rest in a cooler 2-3hrs

Your doing great, can't wait to see it sliced

9.5 Hours into what should have been a 11+ hour smoke (7.6 LB brisket), the brisket reached 200 degrees.  It is now foiled, toweled and resting in the cooler.  Fingers crossed for supper 2-3 hours from now.

I'll post a picture if the result isn't too embarrassing.

Pretty decent for a first effort.  Juicy as can be when first sliced.  Sliced cut 30 minutes later were not quite as juicy.

Thanks for all the help

030be0fd_IMG_5420.jpg

65a446fd_IMG_5419.jpg

Pretty decent for a first effort.  Juicy as can be when first sliced.  Sliced cut 30 minutes later were not quite as juicy.

Thanks for all the help.
Don't think any of us mentioned to save the juice that was left in the foil, remove the fat, and use it as an Au Jus.

It looks real good though!!!

Bear

Last edited:
Looks Great from here...if you need help with the leftovers I'm just the man for the job. X2 on what Bear had to say save the juice from the foil, refrigerate the juice to separate the fat and it makes a great Au Jus.

Ok... here goes.  Brisket part II.  Similar story.  9.5 lb packers cut from costco.  Trimmed to 8.5 lbs.  Left the point attached.   Started at 6 am.  MES 40 at 225.  By 11.30 temp was 170 in two places.  Put it in a foil pan and the temp dropped 10 degrees... go figure.  Thermometer is very accurate.  I also dropped the temp of the smoker by 10 degrees to see if i could slow down.  Dinner is at 5 and i don't want to be ready at 2!

Going to wait till 180 and then go with the beer and foil.

If this one comes out like that first one, last month, you should be a very happy camper !!!!

Be awhile to get to 180˚.

Then it could take awhile to get from 180˚ to 205˚.

Then you can foil, towel, and put in dry empty cooler for a couple hours.

That should hold her until 4:45, picture & carving time.

Bear

Last edited:
Foil and 8 oz of 180 degree shock top ale.  This time i took a tip from another poster and put a foil pan with sliced onion, a few cloves of crushed garlic, some apple juice and a little chicken bullion underneath to catch all the drippings and flavor them.  Also going to try and roast some red potatoes in the smoker as well.  Starting to get hungry!! 

Came out pretty tasty.  I have to tell you... the onions in the juice.... fantastic!  Would be incredible on a hotdog or sausage.

Here is some Q-view...

1b797eb1_smIMG_5674.jpg
75eb7410_smIMG_5677.jpg
d9aacfc8_smIMG_5680.jpg
7cb16688_smIMG_5678.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky