Newbie and new RF Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Being in the Smoke Chamber, shouldn't get to much hotter than under the hood of a car running down the road in July in Texas ????

Gary

Most 86 through 99 Chevrolet & GMC model trucks and SUV's have springs like this. We got these from a 95 Chevy 1500 destined for the scrapyard.

Last edited:
Just had another idea.. Has anyone seen or heard of a smoker with doors that would slide open like say a bread box would open? Doors inside the CC instead of on the outside, in a channel with maybe some ball bearings or something to help it glide. Then u could counter weight it and basically no one would see the weight. Just kicking around thoughts..

So we got some more work done today.

Brad finished up the grinding of the firebox edges and corners

And using the overhead hoist, we got the firebox tacked into place and positiined so we could do a full weld on 100% of the firebox to cook chamber opening.

Here was a cool action shot Brad took

I do like this action shot the best though.

Here's a few more pics of the firebox now mounted fully

This is a weld bead on the outside where the firebox joins the cook chamber

Here is the whole inside weld picture.

A little closer shot

This was the side and bottom where you have to really know your welding positions on a project this big as you can't really roll it over and you can only avoid overhead welding for so long.

Any questions, comments, criticisms, concerns or emotional outbursts?
Let's hear it.

So, I have a question for everyone... How many cut the opening into the back of the firebox Before welding it to cook chamber? And how many cut the opening After it's welded?

I just wonder, because I've always welded it on, then used a torch dragged along the bottom of the tank to cut the opening, I guess I'm to lazy to try to make the two radius's match up!

So, I have a question for everyone... How many cut the opening into the back of the firebox Before welding it to cook chamber? And how many cut the opening After it's welded?

I just wonder, because I've always welded it on, then used a torch dragged along the bottom of the tank to cut the opening, I guess I'm to lazy to try to make the two radius's match up!

We actually dry fit the firebox to the cook chamber and using a Graphite pencil traced the line.
Then after a little free hand with the plasma cutter we matched it back up and it couldn't have been smoother.

I can see how drag cutting it after its been tacked into place would save time though.

Last edited:
When trying to align everything with no one to give you a hand, some may find it easier. And when using .045 wire, less chance of burn through.

You did a very nice clean job on this one though, don't get me wrong...

Nice looking rig!! No criticism at all. Only question I have is the clearance between the firebox and the ground.. If this is going to be pulled behind a truck I think u will have issues with the firebox scraping. Or it could just be the camera angle, idk.. But it looks great!!

It,s the camera angle, there's almost 11.5" ground clearance and there is almost to much tongue weight as is.
I'm just waiting to see if it evens out after we add the wood bin and finish the rest of the firebox.

Lined them up, traced the opening, pulled apart and cut, realigned and welded.

Last edited:
So, if your very first cut on the cook chamber ( when using a tank) was notching for the firebox, you could still do it while the tank was sitting on its original legs, level, and mount the firebox from the top as if building the cooker upside down. Makes everything easier to handle and easier to level, and you don't have to flip the tank but one time. Then flip it over , stick a level on top of the firebox, and mark everything from there.

Just trying to give the newbies reading these posts some pointers to make fab easier for them.

I cut the FB opening first before welding to CC.  Mine was a "special" case where the scrap steel sheet for FB was not big enough for all the FB sides to be "full" pieces.  I chose to make the FB side the one I made out of 2 pieces (spliced)  The bottom 1/3 was welded to the FB. The top 2/3 piece was marked for CC opening against CC, then cut, ground, tacked to FB and checked for final fit before final weld. 

RG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky