Newbie about to cook his first brisket!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
I have a 14,5 WSM, did a beer can chicken to break it in - went well, temp was a touch low, product was very good.

so - we love brisket.  I am thinking of cutting a 7 pounder in half and using both grates.  I have some killer BBQ rub from a Memphis BBQ joint we love.  I am thinking about injecting something into the meat - not sure what - the book I have says beef broth,(which sounds boring), but I bought an injector and it needs to be used.

When i used to oven bake this same size I trimmed it to 13X9 pan with a rack and sealed it in foil.  cooked it all day at 225.

So - please let me know if you have any advice on this plan and if you have an inject-able marinade recommendation.

Thanks!

Personally, I have never found it necessary to inject my briskets.  A nice rub like the one you mentioned is enough.  I plan on one hour per pound plus two hours at 235 as a time estimate.  I always foil my briskets at 165 and take them to 195-197.  I pull them and rest them in an empty ice chest for at least one hour and 2 or 3 if possible (important).

Good luck with your cook.

Richard

Good luck on your Brisket venture. Be sure to watch your temps. , and why foil
icon_question.gif
 You get better Bark with no wrapping. Just saying. 

Stan

I have injected briskets in the past but never will again. I have struggled with briskets and only ones that have turned out good are the few I have marinated for 12+ hours. Save the injector for your chicken, turkey, or pork butts. I know lots of people don't do anything but a rub, never had any luck with that either. Needless to say I am staying with the marinate until I start having better success with brisket. Good luck and be sure to post pictures.

I love my Beef with minimal spices to detract from it's awesome flavor. My rub is salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. I don't inject Brisket but will shoot some creole butter in every chuck roast I ever do from now on. Just make sure you do a little reading in all the right places which all happen to be here on this website. like this. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...r-the-misconception-of-the-1-to-1-5-hour-rule and this is his most recent post on how to do it well, from the brisket capital of the world I might add. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/174019/east-texas-style-brisket-ribs and if that is not enough to get you started Bearcarver has some great step by steps to make your first brisket on your WSM go off without a hitch. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/106097/brisket-flat-step-by-step-with-qview. If you need any more help just ask. Happy smoking. timber

WOW! thanks to you all for the great info for the first attempt!  Skipping the injector - as much as i really wanted to use it.

One quick question about using the WSM - I was planning to use the water bath.  what are the pro and cons?

I have some reading to do and will post it up when done.  Special thanks to Timerjet for the links, but thanks to these forums.  i would have failed miserably with you you guys!  After some reading I may have more questions.

I was planning on using a dry BBQ rub from Corkys BBQ in Memphis, but now I am rethinking...maybe something like this?  get some push back on changing the rub, but think its time...
2 Tablespoons ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons sweet paprika
2 Tablespoons pure chili pepper powder (e.g. ancho)
2 teaspoons onion salt
2 teaspoons garlic salt
2 teaspoons celery salt
2 teaspoons seasoning salt

Sounds good, I use onion and garlic powder and a little brown sugar, not a lot just a little, sometimes honey powder

Gary

I will use onion and garlic powder instead of salt.  brown sugar sounds like a nice touch as well.  

Here is the plan as it stands;

Rub it down tomorrow and wrap in plastic (cook is Saturday)

225 till we get to about 170 with hickory wood

foil it up and cook till 190.

rest for an hour two.

shooting for 6-7 lb brisket.

I am starting to gain confidence this will be edible...  my first chicken was super easy and cheap... the brisket is a touch more stressful, but the support of the forum is helping me from making rookie mistake for sure.

Good luck,you have had great advice! Remember you can try it differently until you find what you prefer! Try the water pan and without foil then not change your rub it's half the fun. And don't forget the Q-view!

You've had some great advise, you'll figure out in time your preference.... Good luck & post some pics... Thumbs Up

I will use onion and garlic powder instead of salt.  brown sugar sounds like a nice touch as well.  

Here is the plan as it stands;

Rub it down tomorrow and wrap in plastic (cook is Saturday)

225 till we get to about 170 with hickory wood

foil it up and cook till 190.

rest for an hour two.

shooting for 6-7 lb brisket.

I am starting to gain confidence this will be edible...  my first chicken was super easy and cheap... the brisket is a touch more stressful, but the support of the forum is helping me from making rookie mistake for sure.
Don't pull it just because it's at 190.  It might need to cook for several more hours.   Use the poke/probe test to tell when it's ready.   Take a probe and poke the brisket in several spots at the thickest part of the flat.  When the probe goes in and out with no resistance, like a knife through butter, the brisket will be ready.  Pull from the smoker, let stand for 10 to 20 mins for the carry over cooking to stop then wrap in foil for the hour or two.

Last edited:
ok here is the fat trimmed and rubbed pics.  Starting this cook up Saturday morning.   this one was close to 6 lb before trimming and came vacuum packed.  I didnt need to trim too much of the thick fat.  Bought it at my local butcher and it was about $8.50 / lb.  previous briskets were very good baked low and slow.  They are a very reputable butcher so I think (and hope) this will be tasty!  I used Chef Jimmy's Run for the Border rub!  love the heat there.  thanks for posting the recipe! I'll shoot a few more during the cook and hopefully have a positive report from the family after consumption.

Be looking forward to watching you smoke

Gary

Keep them pictures coming and if you have any questions of concerns I will be here to help. It's freezing a$$ cold out there today so no work for me. Might be firing up the drum after a while. 30 mph wind with gusts to 45 and 32 degrees. I don't know what the wind chill is but Brrrrrrrrrr......

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky