Newb Smoker Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MarchHare

Original poster
Jul 13, 2021
Been looking at buying (soon) a smoker.
I really enjoy smoked turkey breast and chicken thighs. These I have been buying from our local grocer.
I would probably buy a smoker if that was the only thing I could use it for.
Some time in my distant past I was given a sample of smoked kielbasa.
Wow, what great flavor.
Here's my question:
I have been looking at getting the Weber WSM 18.5 as my first choice.
Does this charcoal smoker have the ability to also smoke sausage?
Please advise if I should be looking at a different smoker.
Any help is appreciated.
Many thanks.
March...

Any smoker can do sausages, it's down to the size of the fire and the chosen wood.
WSM are great, but the 18 will limit what you can cook or rather smoke as the meat should be opposite of the fire source, so bigger is better in that sense.
My advice is to check what the WSM18 costs where you live, or where you shop online and spend a day or three surfing the innerwebs to see what that money can buy in another brand before pulling the trigger (or Traegar).

Depends on what kinds of sausages you want to smoke. You would need to control the heat so you didnt get any charcoal taste in say like cured summer sausage, sticks and the like, your pretty close to the heat .

If you like Crispy Poultry Skin, the WSM is great, but get the 22". It holds more and there are 22" Kettle accessories that can be used...JJ

A lot of sausage require temps from 130 stepped up after so long and finished at less than 200, no smoker will do it as easy as a electric smoker imo, you can fight any charcoal smoker out there all you want but nothing beats a electric for temp control

Not a fan of electric smokers, myself, but like mike said, that's the best way to smoke sausage. You would need a smoke generator of some kind.
Most charcoal or wood burners just won't keep the lower temps needed.
Are you planning on making your own sausage? For low temp smoking a sausage needs a cure and if you're buying "fresh" in a store it may not have a cure in it.
As long as you have a proper circuit that may be best for you,but I'd rather have the 22" WSM.....

I really appreciate everyone's input with respect to my smoker choice.
My wallet pretty much locks me in to $400 or less. This, in order to get the needed extras that a beginning smoker needs.
My close second choice was the Oklahoma Joe, Bronco. Same price. Same 18" grill. The Bronco has a hook arrangement that you can hang meat or sausages from.
The Weber is handier as I can easily use it on my wood deck, or move it below to the yard if I have to for a long smoke. Very convenient.
The Bronco, would pretty much have to stay in one place I think. Not sure if that would be ok on the wood deck at all.
I'll have to live a while with my choice so it has to be the right one.
Never owned or used a smoker,so please forgive any misstatements.
Many thanks.
March

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky