Newb sausage maker questions...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I am ready to dive into some serious sausage making and have read a few books so far on the subject but one thing that is seemingly eluding me is the proper grind method for meat prep.

I hear a lot of differing opinions on just how to do the grind step.

I ask the forum members to give me a hand in answering a few questions.

#1 One grind or two?
#1a Why and when would one use 2 grinds over a single grind?

#2 Can one grind with the fine plate for the initial grind?
#2a Would this be as good as 2 grinds through a coarse plate?

#3 When to add spices? (Before grinding, between first and second grind, after grinding.)

#4 Necessity of a meat mixer?

I will be making some summer, merguez, and some old style Polska Kielbasa Wedzona with a 3 day cold smoke and want to make sure I have the grind down right.

Thanks all for your help in advance.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: kruizer
JC,
I've only been smoking sausage for a couple years so I am still learning myself but this is my opinion.
#1. If you have a big 1hp grinder to push the meat you could get away with one.
#1a. Depending on the consistency of your sausage it would dictate a second finer grind.
#2 Using a fine pate for the initial grind IMHO is a matter of horsepower.
#2a Two grinds through the same plate IMHO is a waste of time.
#3 Most recipes I use add spices between first and second.
#4 You haven't lived life until you try to mix 20lbs of cold meat by hand.

All of this is subjective you are going to find the way YOU want to do it after a few batches.
Keep good records...take pictures to show us, and have fun!
Teddy

First of all it is specific to the type of sausage you plan on making.

• As a general rule I have been grinding my sausage twice.
  • First grind with a 1/2” plate and second grind with 3/16” plate.
  • I grind through the 1/2” plate then mix my seasoning after mixing I grind again through the 3/16” plate after seasonings have been added.
  • Depending on the size of the batches of sausage you are making? I usually do 25lb batches at home. I bought a white square plastic overflow catch pan that you put under a wash machine from home depot. I use this to mix my seasoning. I have a 50lb mixer but never use it because clean up takes too long for small batches.
  • Also make sure you add ice water to help with stuffing.
  • Keep your meat ice cold don’t let it get warm.
  • And as far as the grind goes I wouldn’t use a plate smaller than 3/16”. If you use anything smaller like 1/8 the meat packs and gets rubbery like a hockey puck. Usually the reason people use 1/8” plates like the grocery stores and etc. is because they throw in a lot of gristle, silver skin and other waste into the hamburger that shouldn’t be there and try to hind it by grinding it fine.

I think all of your questions are a matter of preference. As far as grinding its all going to depend on the texture your looking for. I like a course grind for traditional style brats but I'll use the finest plate I have when making weisswurst or hotdogs/franks. And even the fine plate is course for hot dogs. When I do smoked ring sausages like kielbasa I like a mix of course and fine to get the texture I like.Ill run it through the coarse plate and the run about a third of the mix back through the fine plate. I baught a meat mixer 5 years ago and it sits in the closet. I like to do it by hand in meat tubs. If you dont have any meat tubs get at least 4 to start with they are a must have and they are cheap.

#1 One grind or two?
#1a Why and when would one use 2 grinds over a single grind?
Your choice, Sausage is all about texture 2 grinds will make a finer mince, even if it's through the same size plate.

#2 Can one grind with the fine plate for the initial grind?
#2a Would this be as good as 2 grinds through a coarse plate?
#2, not recommended unless the meat is close to frozen and you have some horsepower behind you. it would also depend the hole size in your fine plate, My smallest is 1/8"
#2a 2 through a large plate will give ya about the same as once through a med plate.

#3 When to add spices? (Before grinding, between first and second grind, after grinding.)
if you're doing a double grind Id add it between the two grinds. If grinding once, you can add the seasoning the night before then grind the next day. or grind it mix in the spice and mix.

#4 Necessity of a meat mixer?
I can't see using one unless you're doing 15 lbs or more
there is no right way to make sausage, you just need to figure out what works for you.

All great advise above. I usually grind just once thru a medium plate. I like to mix the seasonings with the liquid that's going to be used in the sausage and mix after grinding. I love my meat mixer, I've got a lot of arthritis in my hands. If you are going to mix by hand in a tub I suggest getting a pair of insulated gloves, spray them with Pam. RAY
DSCN1374.JPG

Grinding some of my sausages, I like to do a 3 grind... First, grind the "frozen" fat through the fine plate so it can be distributed through out the meat fairly uniformly... Second, grind about 2/3 of the meat through a fine to medium plate and the rest of the meat through a med to coarse plate....
The larger hunks of meat provide a tooth texture to the sausage so you are not eating something like a hot dog that has no texture... The somewhat finer hunks of meat, fill in the gaps of the larger hunks so you don't have air pockets in the sausage...

Thoroughly mix the sausage until the proteins have exuded what ever it is that makes for a homogeneous mix that will stick together when smoked and cooked... and becomes sticky...
Of course all of this depends on what you like... try several options...
1578063247242.jpeg

Reactions: JC in GB
It is a matter of preference. I like to cure and season before I grind. Usually the day before, then grind cold. Liquids I add during mixing. I think making sure your blades are sharp is just as important as the number of grinds. You want to avoid fat smear as much as possible. There are times I grind twice but usually when making emulsified sausages. Hope it helps

Thanks for all the input. Your input has helped me in understanding what I read in the Marianski books.

I am confident I can now navigate the grinding and mixing phase of production.

I was interested in the meat mixer as my hand and shoulders are getting stiffer every year and I don't know how long I will be able to hand mix tubs of meat.

I will be sure to post some pics of my next sausage making effort.

I was interested in the meat mixer as my hand and shoulders are getting stiffer every year and I don't know how long I will be able to hand mix tubs of meat.

After 34 years swinging a hammer to make a living and a golf club on the weekends my hands and shoulders are shot, period. For years I had a hand crank mixer that I'd fasten down on a pair of sawhorses while I had my wife sit on the table to keep it steady. That hurt my shoulders, a lot! A few years back I got the meat mixer attachment that goes on my 1hp grinder. As I deleted all my food pics from last year yesterday I dug around this site and found a pic of my mixer.
mm.jpg

It's a royal pain in the butt to clean, but while the sausage is mixing I'm drilling a beer instead of getting ready to be heli-vacced to a emergency room. I don't think I could make sausage anymore without this thing, geez, it hurts just putting on a tee shirt these days, and most likely ain't going to get much better. RAY

I have a mixer and find 2 things.... It's a PITA to clean... It's worth it to get a good mix and activate the proteins so your sausage does not get crumbly ... unless you cook it to too high a temp and have a fat out....
Cook on a lower temp, like 155-160 and use the pasteurization tables to make it safe to eat....

Attachments

• 1578065878007.png
    1578065878007.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: oxman and JC in GB
I have a mixer and find 2 things.... It's a PITA to clean... It's worth it to get a good mix and activate the proteins so your sausage does not get crumbly ... unless you cook it to too high a temp and have a fat out....
Cook on a lower temp, like 155-160 and use the pasteurization tables to make it safe to eat....

Thanks for that. That is one thing I learned from the Marianski book is how to properly cook sausage. I always thought just dump them into boiling water until they were hot and you were good.

The bratwurst I made turned out fantastic and I want to keep going....

After 34 years swinging a hammer to make a living and a golf club on the weekends my hands and shoulders are shot, period. For years I had a hand crank mixer that I'd fasten down on a pair of sawhorses while I had my wife sit on the table to keep it steady. That hurt my shoulders, a lot! A few years back I got the meat mixer attachment that goes on my 1hp grinder. As I deleted all my food pics from last year yesterday I dug around this site and found a pic of my mixer.
View attachment 426708

It's a royal pain in the butt to clean, but while the sausage is mixing I'm drilling a beer instead of getting ready to be heli-vacced to a emergency room. I don't think I could make sausage anymore without this thing, geez, it hurts just putting on a tee shirt these days, and most likely ain't going to get much better. RAY

I hear you. My shoulders, arms and hands are losing strength every day. Really sucks but I knew this was coming so I am preparing as best I can.

I may have to get a mixer sooner rather than later.

After mixing a 20 pound tub of bratwurst, my arms were on fire and it took 2 weeks to get over the tennis elbow. Back in the day, I could have mixed with one hand while drinking a beer in the other.

This old thing ain't for me. :emoji_laughing:

Thanks,

Reactions: shannon127
I've got arthritis in my hands. Not too bad but hand mixing cold meat is painful. I use my KA stand mixer with the dough hook. Tried the paddle but the meat climbs the paddle and wants to come over the top of the bowl. Works great but the drawback is you can only mix 5lb at a time.

Reactions: shannon127
I'm a grind once guy. Meat mixers are nice if you have a grinder big enough to operate. The crank handle does work but. . . They are a PITA to clean

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky