New Year's snacks. Post em up!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I forgot one snack from yesterday...with the addition of mimosas today

20230101_135955.jpg

Ground round on saltines with onion, salt, and pepper. For some reason I have the munchies after reading through this thread!

Ryan

I was at a friend's house for NYE. He did a great job with some sweet pepper buffalo turds, and I tried my hand at making Bourbon Balls. This was a first attempt, and called for chopped pecans to be soaked in bourbon for 10 days, and then 2T. to go into the nougat mixture inside. They were okay, but not as potent as the ones I've had at distillery tours in Kentucky. So next time, I think I will up it to at least 4T.
I had a little chocolate left over, so I made some non-alcoholic treats for the kids by just pouring it over pecan halves.
20230101_121212.jpg

I was at a friend's house for NYE. He did a great job with some sweet pepper buffalo turds, and I tried my hand at making Bourbon Balls. This was a first attempt, and called for chopped pecans to be soaked in bourbon for 10 days, and then 2T. to go into the nougat mixture inside. They were okay, but not as potent as the ones I've had at distillery tours in Kentucky. So next time, I think I will up it to at least 4T.
I had a little chocolate left over, so I made some non-alcoholic treats for the kids by just pouring it over pecan halves.
View attachment 653107

They sound great! In the place I worked before now. There was this lady that brought in rum balls. They were so strong. The plant manager would only allow us to have them at the Christmas shutdown party. You could get drunk off these things!

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
My wife made a wonderful olive tapenade, that got gobbled up on rounds of French bread before I thought to take pictures. On the non-snack side, she made individual potatoes au gratin cups and asparagus to go with the prime rib I roasted.

I had the fire pit going outside all day, and on a whim I tried something I found in the Playing with Fire cookbook (Michael Simon, author) I received for Christmas. I threw a whole butternut squash directly on the coals, turning it occasionally for an hour or so. It emerged as a blackened charred mess, but after cooling a bit, halving, and scraping out the cooked squash, it had a most wonderful fire-roasted flavor. I added only a little fresh ground nutmeg and melted butter to serve. I'll be doing that again.
tempImagervEgPf.png

I had the fire pit going outside all day, and on a whim I tried something I found in the Playing with Fire cookbook (Michael Simon, author) I received for Christmas. I threw a whole butternut squash directly on the coals, turning it occasionally for an hour or so. It emerged as a blackened charred mess, but after cooling a bit, halving, and scraping out the cooked squash, it had a most wonderful fire-roasted flavor. I added only a little fresh ground nutmeg and melted butter to serve. I'll be doing that again.
Sounds good.
I remember reading a story, way back in grade school in the 1960's. The female author wrote about a small New England town in the 1800's, where in the Winter, everyone would bury potatoes in a big hole in the town park, and then build a bonfire over them. After it had burned down, and they had scraped away the ashes, they would dig up the potatoes and eat them. The author, who was a young girl at the time, had very fond memories of this, saying they were the best potatoes she had ever eaten.
I remember thinking, "Why were these kids so jazzed about eating plain potatoes???"

Nothing noteworthy here, but enjoyed looking at the creative recipes, except one!
Not a fan of cannibal crackers.

The experience Mike, same as today except now they have phones in hand taking and posting photos of the rustic food.

Happy to. It might be an old family recipe...but not from my family. My wife found the recipe on Pinterest. Olive tapenade. She chopped everything up, rather than use a food processor, to keep it from becoming too much of an olive paste.
Thanks! That's pretty close to the recipe I use. I don't use capers.

Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke That is crazy! Looks exactly what I saw at my house growing up at holiday parties. I have been even craving that cream cheese block thing. Covered in cocktail sauce IIRC?

Steve H Steve H was craving me some reuben dip but no go this year. The thought of homemade kraut in that... WOW.

Crab stuffed mushrooms were the highlight here. Other players were buffalo chicken dip, shrimp tray, and veggie pizza. Had to moderate both food and drink to stay up for the GA OSU game. Man that was late.

20221231_192547_resized.jpg

Excellent shrooms Sam! This is the first holiday weekend in a while where these weren't included.

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky